Rock Concert Footage...1080 & 720 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eggerichs
The mpeg2 codec responds so much better to all the resolution.
Yes, I was getting quite angry when exporting xl2 footage to the mpeg2 codec using compressor. I know compressor is the last thing you want to use for exporting high quality mpeg2 material, but that is all we have, we have tried bit-vice and some others as well. But i have noticed a considerable difference in quality when I export 720p or 1080i footage to mpeg2, burn it and watch it on the T.V. There are a lot less digital artifacts than with the xl2 exports.

Another thing we did was go direct from the HVX into the television using S-video and watched some footage. Now that looks good. So good i think i drooled a little bit. And I just have a crappy Sanyo TV in my office.
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy Bisher
I know compressor is the last thing you want to use for exporting high quality mpeg2 material
How come? I've never heard that before. Is there some other tool for the mac that I'm oblivious to? Just curious.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

That was really. Awesome. Can't wait to get my Hvx200.
You get good clarity even the noise level is high. Is H stands for Heaven?
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Irwin
How come? I've never heard that before. Is there some other tool for the mac that I'm oblivious to? Just curious.

There isn't for the mac. These would be 3rd party encoders. They are machines that are specifically built to encode. Usually offering much more in depth bit rate variation. You have a slow scene. Reduce the bit rate. You have an intense action scene. Raise the bit rate. Basically it's all customizable. When you use Compressor you pick a bit rate and that's it. The whole thing is encoded at the same bit rate.

These 3 party systems are extremely expensive. I've heard upwards of $200,000. But this is what Hollywood uses. This is all what I've been told.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Irwin
Well there are lots of tools... I was just stating that compressor pails in comparision to a program like Digital Ventures
DVDComposer. An MPEG-2 video encoding system that's $50,000.

When i went straight into the T.V with my Xl2, the footage looked so good, but everytime I converted to Mpeg 2, there were tons of digital artifacts, especially on cross fades and fade to black transitions. I could even see pixelation on any type of movement. I even dragged every slider there was to top quality and used the highest bit rate possible, it still didn't seem to matter.

It may not be that big of a deal, but it drove me nuts that i couldn't get what i saw on tape to look like that on DVD. I am a perfectionist.

I know Sony has proprietary mpeg2 encoding software that they use to make all the hollywood DVD's on, and that's why they look so good. (I know it's film) but the arrested development DVD disk series wasn't done on film and it looks so good on DVD. I always wondered if they used the xl2 on that show.

All in all, i like what i am seeing using compressor with HVX footage.
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

My assumption is since the footage was shot in 2/3" ccd chips or film the quality should be good even after compression.

What if, you create a 3d composite using Maya and Shake and compress it using existing codec h.264 you still have the quality maintained like a film.

When i create any object and during rendering i specify what quality i needed it to be either HD,super 16 or 35mm and when i compress it using h.264 the actual file size will be much more less and still the film/HD quality will be maintained.

I think its more towards the pixel size of the chip used in the camera which directly correlates to how much color info you can gather.

Just my 2 cents here.
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:38 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikrishnan Ponnurangam
My assumption is since the footage was shot in 2/3" ccd chips or film the quality should be good even after compression.
Yes, but the HVX200 has 3 1/3" CCD chips...
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders