Is it okay to trash the MXF files once they are unwrapped? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is it okay to trash the MXF files once they are unwrapped?

So this seems to be a pretty standard question around here that dosen't seem to get a clear response.

I'm on FCP, I have all the footage "Imported" and a capture scratch filled with QT files. I also still have the initial MXF files from the drag and drop copy procedure from the P2 store.

Everything seems like its working fine and the files are working great. I know I'm never going to an AVID or native MXF program for this project.

So can I kill the huge MXF folders and know FOR SURE that the QT movies will sill be fine and don't refrence the MXF's in some weird way that disable them from playing once the MXF's are deleted?

Your assistance is appreciated
Jake Hensberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

If you know you'll never go to an MXF-aware program, and you don't need the info that's in the clip metadata, then sure -- you can delete the camera-original MXF's and rely on the Quicktime .movs. That's all you're using in FCP anyway, so you can recover space by deleting the originals if you need the space back.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders