P2 underwater? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 26th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #1
Major Player

P2 underwater?

was browsing other sites and came across one for the Equinox underwater housing. Read it just out of curiosity, and then it struck me...the P2 feature is utterly useless under water...Duh. (Well, not UTTERLY useless...but nearly so).

I've never shot under water, but have some ideas of things I'd like to shoot, e.g. competitive swimmers/divers. But, if I'm ever able to do it, I'd be relegated to miniDV tape.

Is HD viable under water? Having never done it, I have no idea. (Will the Cineporter sport an underwaer housing)? ;)
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Specialized Communications

Hi Denis,

We have at least two people that will be Beta testing in underwater housings, as well as unpressurized aircraft housings. At this time we do not see any big issues. The CinePorter enclosure itself is not waterproof though.

Hope this helps,

David
David Linetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

P2, if shot at 720p 30 native frame rate, should give you at leat 32 minutes of working time if you have two 8-gig cards in the HVX200. Not bad.
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

For SCUBA, it might just work...

Currently shooting a DVX100/Equinox setup I have the same gripes about the HVX (apart from the monster of a housing) - but considering how much footage I currentlyshoot on a dive, 10-20 minutes should be plenty...after all, you have to edit all that stuff so you quickly learn how to shoot selectively, improving the overall footage quality IMHO.

It would be nice for a waterproof port to the outside so you don't have to break the seal when downloading stuff during surface intervals.

I would be curious if that even worked from the HVX's point of view - e.g. using a infrared remote control to operate the camera through the clear back plate...

BTW, the IMAX underwater camera only has 3 minutes runtime...
Daniel Kissel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders