External PCMCIA reader for G5 tower? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Guys
I have imported four PCMCIA card readers to date, two have been succesful in my G4 (PCI) and two were flops, ther'e now destined for the techno scrap heap.
Not to give up, I spoke to another dealer about a PCIe solution just today and he advised that a product that is a rear insertion PCMCIA to PCIe reader is being manufactured as we speak. It will be released in about 4-8 weeks. He says it will read teh Panasonic P2 cards, and it will be under $100.
Lets all hope we finally have a cost effective solution.
If it works as well as my Amtron Reader in my G4 i'll be impressed , and relieved.
i'll keep you posted when mine arrives.
Cheers
Tom K
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Major Player

PCI Express means this should work in a MacPro.

Would be it be possible to learn who the manufacturer is?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
PCI Express means this should work in a MacPro.
Would be it be possible to learn who the manufacturer is?
Hi David,
I will post back as soon as I have a test of this card.
Cheers
Tom K
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Klein View Post
Hi David,
I will post back as soon as I have a test of this card.
Cheers
Tom K
Hi David,
I have contacted the manufacturers dealer and I'm told that as the manufacturers perceive there is not enough "market interest" in this PCMCIA to PCIe adapter they are Not going to proceed.
I'm trialing one last combination (a four card reader) shortly, when the remaining product arrives I will post back my results/findings.
Cheers
Tom K
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Klein View Post
Hi David,
I'm trialing one last combination (a four card reader) shortly, when the remaining product arrives I will post back my results/findings.
Cheers
Tom K
Update,

I just loaded up bootcamp into my intel macpro with XP Pro SP3 and, my PCIe to PCI expansion case works well (off the Mac's slot 2) , Plus the cardbus card (SIIG) is recognized and XP loaded a driver, I then loaded the Panasonic P2 Driver, re booted and then inserted a P2 card and it came up instantly on the desktop as it should, all work well n fast.

So, an old OS as XP works, but newer OS 10.5.2 leopard dosen't using the same hardware configuration.

The PCIe to PCI expansion case is a great idea for more slots, it's just the Mac OS that let's the operation down.

Also I tried the Elan P111 card, it didn't work at all, it's driver is for XPpro SP1, very old and out of date.
Elan have a PCIe to Cardbus card on their web site , but it's just a mock up that they don't even make, and a huge time waster to anyone who chases it down thru one of Elans dealers.
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/e111.php
One wonders if that's false or misleading advertising ?.

Cheers
Tom K
Tom Klein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders