the dreaded incomplete or corrupt clip issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Major Player

the dreaded incomplete or corrupt clip issue

Well, despite doing everything right (as far as I can tell), I've got two clips* from yesterday's shoot that refuse to import, and generate the FCP 'incomplete or corrupt' error. All the other files on the card (admittedly from a different shoot, the night before, at DVCPro50/60i) import just fine. *edit: (see below... I have a bigger problem than just two clips..)

Specs: shot at 1080i/60.
Scene settings were completely factory default F1 HD Norm settings.
Files generate an error whether imported directly from HVX or from a copy of the contents folder on the Mac.
FCP 5.0.1
Lastclip.txt file is there in the folder.
Files play back fine in-camera.
No warning icon on in-camera thumbnail.
In-camera Properties screen confirms them as 1080i/59.94, doesn't show anything unusual.
Attempt to use Repair Clip function in-camera yielded a "cannot repair" message.
Camera appeared to be functioning perfectly, had a fully charged battery, etc.
Camera/card had not been connected to a computer or even powered up between the time the shots were created (yesterday) and my attempt to import them today.
Camera conencted to mac via reliable FW cable, in 1394 Device mode. Camera was connected to the mac before powered-up for file transfer.

I just tried shooting another shot, just to see if it was some odd temporary condition at power-up yesterday, but I'm having the same problem with today's clip.

As a further test, I popped the card with the shots from the last 3 days, and shot a new clip on another card. Same error message. So it's not just the card. Next, I tried a shot at 720/60p. Same error message.

This is beginning to look really bad. Anyone have any clues?
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

FCP 5.0.1 won't import any high-def clips, you have to be using at least 5.0.4, and preferably 5.1.1. 5.0 (prior to 5.0.4) only supports standard-def P2 clips.

If the files play back fine in camera, then the problem is FCP's, not the footage. We ran into this on a recent gig, FCP refused to import clips, but EDIUS imports 'em, Avid imports 'em, P2 Viewer imports 'em, and P2 Log imports 'em just fine. Because it was an all-Mac shoot we used P2 Log to get around the FCP limitation.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
FCP 5.0.1 won't import any high-def clips, you have to be using at least 5.0.4, and preferably 5.1.1. 5.0 (prior to 5.0.4) only supports standard-def P2 clips.

If the files play back fine in camera, then the problem is FCP's, not the footage. We ran into this on a recent gig, FCP refused to import clips, but EDIUS imports 'em, Avid imports 'em, P2 Viewer imports 'em, and P2 Log imports 'em just fine. Because it was an all-Mac shoot we used P2 Log to get around the FCP limitation.
THANKS!
This isn't my FCP system, and I thought FCP5 did all the non-PAL formats. I'd just finished testing further, and found that it was importing SD test shots, so I was beginning to suspect the software or its install.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders