where to buy a spare component lead...or two at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Trustee

where to buy a spare component lead...or two

I have only having one, especially as my cat really enjoys chewing on expensive leads much to her enjoyment!

Any links where i can buy one from?

Also does anyone else find the component socket/ lead is a bit loose on the camera?

Last edited by Phil Bloom; December 23rd, 2006 at 07:48 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Phil,

The component connector has clips to help make a solid electrical connection but they are not designed to hold up the weight of the cable itself. As with any connection into the camera (with possible exception to the robust XLR's) you need strain-relief on all the cable inputs to prevent accidental disconnect and reduce the strain on the connector itself caused by the weight of the cable pulling it down.

Most are using cable ties on the HVX handle, others have an off-camera cable tie connected to their rail system. Either way, the name of the game is to not have the connector do all the work of holding up the cable AND making an electrical connection.

Many have complained about the component connector being weak and eventually failing over time; typically these same people are not using any strain-relief. Myself and other HVX shooters I know have been using the component cable - tied-off to the handle - reliably for over a year without the connector losing it's integrity.

As a point of reference, there isn't one cable on my rig that doesn't have some form of strain-relief, whether it be a cable tie or, simply wrapping it around an external peice of equipment thus preventing the connector from bearing the weight of the cable.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Specialized Communications

Sorry Chris!

Last edited by David Linetsky; December 23rd, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
David Linetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Linetsky
...We do have the original and aftermarket cables available in several lengths.

David
Really?!! How long? Is it on the website? I'd love a long single component cable; right now I've mated the standard (and painfully short) HVX-component to a longer one using BNC/RCA adapters and I've never liked that solution.

Do you have a long cable with BNC on the other end? I'll order one now!! (laughs)
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Specialized Communications

Sorry Chris!

Last edited by David Linetsky; December 23rd, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
David Linetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Folks, please consider making your purchases from our DV Info Net site sponsors; when you give them your business, it helps us to keep this site running. Any of our full-line dealers such as B&H, etc. will have these component video cables in various lengths with either 3x BNC or RCA plugs at one end and a D-Terminal (I believe it's D4) at the other end... this connection is common to not only the HVX200 but also most of the major 3CCD HDV camcorders such as the Canon XL H1, XH A1 etc.

For Phil Bloom, our UK sponsor is Production Gear in Hertfordshire, and of course B&H ships worldwide. See our sponsors page for contact info and site links at http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors -- thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Sorry, Chris. For some reason I always assumed Spec-Comm was one of the sponsors, which is why I openly asked for the biz.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
...Any of our full-line dealers such as B&H, etc. will have these component video cables in various lengths with either 3x BNC or RCA plugs at one end and a D-Terminal (I believe it's D4) at the other end...
Actually, I've scoured the B&H and other's sites for this exact kind of cable and the only thing I've found is a cable from Canon; right D-type connector but it's just as short as the one Panny supplies. So if you've seen the exact cable we're looking for in the longer lengths somewhere, please share the link!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders