GF2 no rec limit if bought from HK? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GF2 no rec limit if bought from HK?

Just to clarify as I can get someone to pick one if these up for me from Hong Kong...

I want a locked off "larger sensor" cam for UK shooting in PAL 25p 1080 for better low light and small discreet size. This cam sounds perfect but I need it to shoot for at least an hour straight.

Would buying one in HK mean I'd get what I'm after?

Thanks.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There is no specific version of a camera for the Hong Kong market. But you can probably buy the same camera (e.g. GF2) from the offical authorized dealer as well as parallel imports from Japan in other shops. The Japanese version of GF2 may have a different specification than the export version.
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Kenneth,

Do you have any idea about the continuous recording limit from Japanese models?
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know. You may ask the shop assistant. But the better way is to buy the camera and test it yourself. There is a 7-day guarantee money back in Hong Kong. If it is not to your satisfaction, return it.
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't know. You may ask the shop assistant. But the better way is to buy the camera and test it yourself. There is a 7-day guarantee money back in Hong Kong. If it is not to your satisfaction, return it. They must accept it or you may ask the police for help!
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Er, Gary.................

What, exactly, makes you think that buying from one particular PAL market is going to give you something you ain't going to get elsewhere?

Where have you read this?

What source?

You lose any warranty by buying offshore and have mentioned no authoritative source for this "offshore is better" approach.

What do you think you know, that nobody on DVinfo does?

Please educate us.

BTW, "Ask the shop assistant" is the kiss of death for any camera purchase!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Other than PAL/NTSC frame rates, it's a myth that any photo or video camera has special features for a particular market area. The myth is typically spread by dishonest retailers who are offering 'grey-market' versions at a lower price. They typically then try to sell you up to the legit version by telling you that the grey market is missing features or made in a mythical lesser quality factory.
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That's why I'm asking the question, Chris, does this feature set exist in other regional versions of certain cams (the fast that EU models have 12min limit for my Canon DSLRs makes me think other regions might not). It's just a question.

Does anyone have any idea if I can get what I'm looking for? What about the hacked GH1? Is that my only option at this time?

Many thanks.
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi, Gary............

Apart from the usual PAL/ NTSC differences in model line ups, I'm not aware, from any source, of any operational differences in any current camera equipment, whether still or video.

Hacked I'm not into so can't comment, but assuming that there will be a difference when there is no authoratative source, is a pretty dangerous way to go.

I'm sure if someone on DVinfo knows [of such a difference] they'll front up, but it's been strangely quiet to date.

As it stands, I don't think this camera is what you're after.

Now, if you're looking for a large sensor, good low light, 25p 1080, hour shoot minimum, camera with a small form factor, why not just ask the appropriate question in the appropriate forum?

Try the "Which camera should I buy" forum, that gets more hits than a steel duck in a shooting gallery sideshow.

I can't keep track of the things, they're multiplying like rabbits!

(Think there's a serious case of mixed metaphores there somewhere, but hey, you'll get the idea).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Record Limit

The authorized dealer of Panasonic in Hong Kong operates some retailer shops for all its electronic products including GF2. They can be honest and I may ask them tomorrow about the record limit of it.

According to the information from its website, it does mention recrod limit for G2 but it no longer mention such record limit for GF2.
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Kenneth, I'd really appreciate that, just to clear it up in my mind. I'm close to buying a couple of these. Can you ask what format it can record in also, i.e. PAL/NTSC switchable, 25p etc.?

cheers.
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Chris ...

Just from looking at the specs on B&H, it looks like I can get 70 mins continuous when using the 14mm lens on the GF2 if I bought the model there. Plus it lists both PAL and NTSC settings, without reference to specific PAL or NTSC models, so I guess it's switchable from that.

This leads me to believe that Id get what I'm looking for by buying the GF2 in the US (or indeed HK), rather than if I bought it here in the UK, where even Panasonic's own website says that EU models will only be able to record uo to 29mins 59secs.

Chris, this is what I'm talking about, and if I'm wrong on this then I have to say it is very unclear for the consumer.
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Re: GF2 no rec limit if bought from HK?

I have asked the authorized dealer of Panasonic in Hong Kong and they told me the GF2 and GH2 have no record limit.
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Re: GF2 no rec limit if bought from HK?

Excellent, that's the right answer!

Thanks Kenneth for doing that. Now I think I'll get a couple of GF2s with 14mm. Wonder how long the battery would last though when continuously shooting for an hour or so??
Gary Barr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)