Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Basco View Post
Ok ok. I am SO sorry for the questions. Would you recommend I get the kit you have Jon? It does come with everything I need right & asked about right? The light itself, battery pack, charger, and barn doors.
I forgot to answer that one.

If you are on a budget in the way that I was when I bought my kit, ($200 - $300) then I think this one really fits the bill. There are some other kits out there that offer similar feature sets and are made by reputable vendors. ( The Frezzi Mini Fill units are rather popular although more costly.) But for the price and what you get (the light, barndoors, Battery & Charger) I think the $264 for the Bescor kit it is definately money well spent.

And it has an onboard dimmer, which is really a great convenience.

Now as for the battery, it is a lead acid battery, and its use will bring a tradeoff.

Its really heavy, and with this particular unit, you can probably expect to get between 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours of 'lit time' depending upon how much your pulling out of your dimmer. In my case, if I was only using it for the shots I needed during a lengthy wedding reception, and kept it off for when it was not needed for a shot, I never had any problem making it last through the whole event.

However, for a battery that heavy, you would still want to get more time out of it. That's the tradeoff. Its a more ecnomical solution, but carrying it around requires some expense of effort.

For longer use time as well as something easier to carry, some users prefer to move up to their lead acid battery belt packs. These are designed to wear around your waist like a belt and have 3 or 4 batteries attached to the belt itself, so you get more running 'lit' time.

That is also a more expensive option, which may lead you to start considering the next step up.

LED oncamera lights were out of my range when I was shopping for them, but they are really cool...literally.

They cost more on the outset, but are very light (not heavy), light evenly, run cool, they are long lasting and are not as much of an energy drain so you get long run times. Like I said, you will be spending more money on the outset, (usually more than twice as much than on an older style economy set like the Bescor that I use, but if you think you'll be looking for that type of option within the next year or so anyway, then certainly consider checking them out.

Guy Cochran from the DVEstore (one of our wonderful site sponsors) has some really nice units, that I do not have, but have long considered buying when the budget and needs arise in unison once again.

http://dvcreators.net/litepanels

They have some demo video on the site as well.

But once again, if your solid within your $200 - $300 range and can deal with the heft of the lead acid battery, than my personal experience leads me to believe that the Bescor kit is a really solid choice.

-Jon
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #17
New Boot

How much does the battery actually weigh? (if you haven't weighed it, that's fine) An estimate would be fine.

Lol and I don't mind the laughing, even if it's at me. I expected it.

Oh and I'd like to thank you and the others for the effort you put into your posts. You have really helped me out.
Francis Basco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
How much does the battery actually weigh? (if you haven't weighed it, that's fine) An estimate would be fine.

Lol and I don't mind the laughing, even if it's at me. I expected it.

Oh and I'd like to thank you and the others for the effort you put into your posts. You have really helped me out.
No worries man. The specs on that battery list it as 5.5 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but being that it is not spread out over a wide balance, it feels pretty solid, and after an hour or so, that 5.5 pounds starts to make itself felt.

-Jon
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #19
New Boot

Thank you very much
Francis Basco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #20
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Bescor MM-7NC Starved Electrolyte (Lead Acid) Battery weighs 5.5 lbs.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135333-REG/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management