DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Westcott Spiderlites?

Anyone have experience with Wescott's Spiderlites?

They have normal threaded fixtures which can take halogen, compact flourescent*, stuido strobe or modeling lamp bulbs. Fixtures can be individual turned on/off.

http://www.fjwestcott.com/fjw.com/products/td5.htm

The five bulb version kit cost around $650 from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_Small_1.html

I'm looking at this as an alternative to a Diva Light.

*Westcott supplies the bulbs and specs them as: 27-watt daylight fluorescent lamps CRI 93.

Last edited by Peter Moretti; January 12th, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Just got the TD-5 five bulb spider light with the medium softbox. My initial impression is "WOW!" A friend of mine who is a gaffer checked it out and was duely impressed.

You can turn on-off individual bulbs. The light looks really well balanced, so CRI 93 seems to not be a stretch.

With the stand, bulbs, softbox, baffle and diffusion it came in at around $600.

To be honest, I think this is a better option than a Diva light, and for ~$400 less.
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Contributor

You can get this setup significantly cheaper and it uses a single 200 watt fluorescent bulb, either 3200 or 5500K:

http://www.coollights.biz/clsft1-coo...ture-p-33.html
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #4
Trustee

FWIU, you can't dim a flourescent bulb significantly w/o changing its color temp. With the Spiderlite, there are five bulbs that can turned on/off. I can change the intensity by 1/2 a stop or 2/3rd's of stop w/ no change in temp.

And the quality of the light from the bulbs is outstanding, IMHO. The industry gaffer who checked it out thought the light looked nicer--a little softer--than what comes out of a Diva light (and KinoFlo's have very nice light). Also, the bulbs can be switched out with higher or lower intensity ones.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: Westcott Spiderlites?

all-

i'm reviving a VERY old thread.

has anyone used the westcott td5 spiderlites?

i have series of short-10min, interior/evening, stand-up talking heads in a very tight space and i'm concerned that a tungsten softbox will "melt" my interviewees.

the idea of using flous is very appealing.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Re: Westcott Spiderlites?

If you want to get past the hot lights & pricey (fire proof) softbox... I've become very fond of the biax flo fixtures. You can find duals (about 400 watt equivalent) for $200 or so, quads (like 8-900 equivalent - and that's with no CTB) for around $300. Cool lights sells some nice ones.

They're already pretty soft - just clipping 1/4 diffusion to the barn doors is often all you need. I like clipping unbleached muslin to the quad for a bit of warmth. Or you can shoot them through a 4x4 frame, or narrow the doors for more of a strip-light look. I wrap them in black mesh if I need some cut, or white mesh to soften sometimes.

I just like how versatile they are, and how much kick they have. I have 4 duals and a quad, use them all the time. Will likely get a six-tube before long.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management