LP Micro Review! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Major Player

I do a little bit of everything. Weddings, promotional, documentaries, music videos, stock footage.

In the particular case of weddings I too don't want to overwhelm people with light but I would have to say that considering that the Z90 is dimmable just like the Micro that that really isn't an issue.

As for the cost comparison...Yes...the Zylight costs about double the Micro (at least in Canada)...but considering the quality of the light I would suggest that the Zylight offers me far more flexibility, reliability (the Micro I had was virtually unusable), and if this matters it looks like a far more professional product to the client.

I'm not slamming the Micro, but sharing my personal experience and opinion fwiw.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #17
Regular Crew

no no, I dont think you are slamming it, opinions are good - if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place!

For most equipment, I dont listen to reviews - I mean if it has mixed reviews and its something I think I am into trying, I will - and then I give it a shot and see if it works for me...That's what's most important - seeing if it suits your needs. If everyone just rips it apart I would definitely think twice about buying it. I read so many mixed reviews on the LP before I bought it - but it fit my size, weight and power needs so I figured I would get one and see how it performed for me, and it worked well for my uses.

Its just like movie reviews - I dont really follow them, but I do like to see what people are saying, good and bad, but either way it wont really sway me to go see it (unless its all bad) - I'll go see it and form my own opinion...
Matthew Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I am shooting weddings too and since I shoot HDV 16:9 the round shape of the light is even more of an issue for me. The wide end of the lens on the A1 is pretty wide and for a shot of a group of people dancing, the light roll off on the sides looks amateurish to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Fink View Post
Steve,

Yes it still does have a round shape, however depending on your application this shouldn't matter.

My main use is wedding and event video. 99% of the clients I deal with don't know much about production (although I have had quite a few ESPN clients) and as long as they can see their face they are happy, and as long as it doesn't look like I have a spotlight on them I am happy. I shoot entirely unobtrusive and this really allows me to do it from a good distance. Sure the light isn't perfect, but until something better is available I am willing to invest in one per each camera setup I have!
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #19
Major Player

FYI.... I have a few sheets of fresnel plastic that you can buy at office depot ( used for overhead projectors ).... cut to shape it spreads any source about double spread. Can't take the heat of tungsten lights but great for HID spots and LED lights.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #20
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sobodos View Post
I am shooting weddings too and since I shoot HDV 16:9 the round shape of the light is even more of an issue for me. The wide end of the lens on the A1 is pretty wide and for a shot of a group of people dancing, the light roll off on the sides looks amateurish to me.
Hi Steve,

Have you considered the Litepanels Mini? They come in both spot and flood models. I'd be happy to send you one for testing if you'd like. I think you'll find that it is more along the line of what you're after. The Micro has a certain market that it is targeted to and fills a certain niche. So does the Mini, I think that you'll find it to provide the extra punch that you're after. Give me a ring and I'll be glad to ship one out.
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #21
Major Player

Micro

I have using the Micro for about three months. For me weight is critical, especially when travelling overseas where I can't carry a lot of lights. Even if I did, the 220 volt issue is a problem. Micro and the Mini work really well fairly close in for outside daylight interviews, and work inside in low light situations to get me an acceptable picture. I have heard a lot of complaining about the build quality. But frankly, if you treat your gear respectfully, you shouldn't have a problem.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
Hi Steve,

Have you considered the Litepanels Mini? They come in both spot and flood models. I'd be happy to send you one for testing if you'd like. I think you'll find that it is more along the line of what you're after. The Micro has a certain market that it is targeted to and fills a certain niche. So does the Mini, I think that you'll find it to provide the extra punch that you're after. Give me a ring and I'll be glad to ship one out.
Guy - can I have one?!?!? haha!

Anytime you need gear testers I would be glad to test and review anything!

When I am ready for my second LPMicro I will be coming to you (to buy of course!)
Matthew Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Fresnel Plastic, what a great idea! It would be great if someone can try it on the LP Micro and report back on spreading the light. If I could get the light to spread right/left some, I would consider buying the Micro again.

Guy, thanks for the offer but the mini is a little too rich for my budget. I could glue two micros together side by side for much less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz View Post
FYI.... I have a few sheets of fresnel plastic that you can buy at office depot ( used for overhead projectors ).... cut to shape it spreads any source about double spread. Can't take the heat of tungsten lights but great for HID spots and LED lights.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:29 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard View Post
I have heard a lot of complaining about the build quality. But frankly, if you treat your gear respectfully, you shouldn't have a problem.
While I agree with taking care of your equipment, I think the issue is more than just the breakability of the unit. First, the filter holder has a poor design. Second, the battery compartment is cheaply constructed. Third, the knob for angling the light doesn't work easily or well.

For $300, this light is a rip-off in terms of construction. I have an $80 Bescor light that has far superior design and durability (not to mention better light output).

See my recent post to view a comparison of the light output difference between my Litepanels Micro and my Bescor with a 20 watt bulb. The difference is pretty drastic.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124309
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #25
Regular Crew

So I bought what I think is fresnel plastic... Its an 8.5x11 magnifying sheet basically... is that the right thing?

Anyways, with the magnifying sheet...it does spread the light nicely...however a) it's still circular and b) you need to find a way to mount it. Using the gel mounting thing isnt an option because the magnifier is too close and does nothing - but at about an inch or two away it makes a big difference.

I hope I bought the right thing...if not can someone point me to what I should be buying? Any ideas on how to mount this because it could very well help some people!
Matthew Fink is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management