Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

looking for the powerful camping light

Hello
I remember the discussion on camping lights, but in the search database the links is not good anymore.I need a reference for cheap powerful light.The lights need to cover 360
its for putting inside a globe(living room style) and shooting with red cameras.
thank you
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you're looking for the UFO LED, just search for UFO Camping Light on ebay. You'll find plenty. They're very blue, probably 6500k plus if not closer to 8000k so pending on what other practicals you may have in the shot and what lights you're using for the shoot, color may be an issue with the camping light.

cheno
Michael Chenoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I will go for the ufo 60 since there is no black hole in the middle.
Howcome its just on ebay, and not in camping store.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

because eBay is the #1 outlet for what I politely refer to as "CCC" (Cheap Chinese... you fill in the other C). While not everything is "knockoffs" (I think the UFO light is actually an "original"), they've got factories churning out volumes of this sort of thing, and budding entrepreneurs hawking the stuff via the internet before it would even have the chance to get out of a shipping container.

FWIW, SOME of the sellers and merchandise are actually really good for shipping speed and quality of product, others... well let's just say YMMV!

Overall, you avoid the middleman of the "camping store" - they'd probably sell the same thing you can buy for around $10 shipped for $40-50 after all the importing and markup, and so it's not such a bad deal if you remember the stuff is not always high quality and consider that in your purchase decision (buy a backup or two since it's cheap)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #5
Major Player

I think these so-called UFO light knockoffs are worthless except for the occasional power outage around here :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I think these so-called UFO light knockoffs are worthless except for the occasional power outage around here :)
I have a dozen of these and they come in very very handy.

We were recently shooting in the conning tower of a submarine, with major lights, a RED camera, camera operator, director, and 5 actors. There was no room for additional lights, except for the camping/tent lights. We used about 8 of them in there to add accent to different areas and for fill.

Last ones I bought were $75.00 for ten of them, with shipping on ebay. How can you go wrong for that price?

Mike

Current link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wholesale-10-X-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; June 16th, 2008 at 04:56 AM. Reason: added link
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management