Recommendation for battery powered off camera light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Wrangler

Recommendation for battery powered off camera light?

Is anyone using a battery powered off-camera light? I'd like to find something that can be mounted easily to a light stand and give a flattering key light for man on the street interviews. This would be in addition to a lower wattage on-camera fill light.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Major Player

I have been know to put a battery on my led500 from flolight and stick it on a small lightstand.... works great..... the light has a 4 pin xlr 12v in socket.

I'm also fond of my zylight z90.... but it's 2x the price and less output than the 500led
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Contributor

I have 3 of the 500LEDs from flolight.com. I don't have a battery pack yet, but the relatively inexpensive Bescor ones work great, I've heard. There's a 12 V 14AH one that's around $130 with charger that I'll probably buy. It should run the light for about 3 hours at full power.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Wrangler

Thanks guys, the Flolights look very nice. Is this the type of Bescor battery pack (Bescor PRB-154) you would use?
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

I set up a LED500 with Lithium Batteries that can attach on a plate on the back of the light. I use the 90WH V-lock battery from batteries4broadcast.com with their V-mount plate. It took a little soldering to attach it, but it's now a permanent fixture. It's also a lot more portable since you attach the battery and away you go. It lasts about 2 hours and 20 minutes, enough for most days. You can power it through the battery with the battery charger so you don't have to take 2 power supplies along for AC power.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Contributor

Michael, as I said I haven't bought one yet but I think I'd prefer the battery pack instead of the battery belt, just for compactness. Although, the belt would probably run the lights longer.

The V-mount is a good idea, assuming you have a camera that uses V-mounts and already have a charger, which costs more than another light. I think the Lightpanels equivalent LED has that, but the Lightpanels equivalent is nearly 3 times the price and doesn't have the 4-pin XLR locking connector for the power supply, or barn doors.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I put my second light together and ran into a problem. If you do what I did and buy a V-Lock plate from Batteries4Broadcast, their wiring harness is wired out of phase. It connects red to black and black to red which I didn't notice and subsequentally burned out the LED light. Should have checked the voltage first before turning it on. Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully I can fix it. I'm waiting to get some specs on the ICs I burned up from flolight.

Last edited by Brett Sherman; August 17th, 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management