The next step in my kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The next step in my kit

I was wondering what some good options are for the next step in my lighting kit. Im somewhat of a newb, so some good advice is needed! Right now i have two totas i got for free, and a used omni. Im shooting mostly drama. i have a good $800 to spend-

what should i get?
If you have specific items in mind, that would be cool!

-Open faced light?
-Fresnel?

-A good 40"c-stand w/ arm?
-diffusion?
-flags?
-gaffer tape?

I was thinking about a lowel rifa 55, cause my parchment paper diffusion kinda sucks... but maybe i should invest in a fresnel and some nice silk, so id have a more versitile kit? I dunno, healp me out! Thanks,

--Corwin
Corwin Garber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #2
New Boot

You might think about the Cool Lights CL-MF0150 Fresnel. By changing the bulbs, it can go from daylight to tungsten balanced, so it's versatile, and at only $459 (with barndoors!) you'll have money left over for other toys.

Also, since you're in Palo Alto, you should go to Pizza Chicago on El Camino, because they have the best stuffed mushrooms and Chicago style pizza in California. Have a Blackhawk for me, k?

CL-MF0150 Cool Lights CDM Fresnel - Cool Lights USA
Jeff Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

haha, thanks!
Corwin Garber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

And if you want a REALLY good pizza, head up 280 a few miles and turn off at the Half Moon Bay - San Mateo exit toward San Mateo and head for Rainbow Pizza in the Crystal Springs shopping center.

Every time I'm back in the Bay area I go there to pig out. Best "garbage" pizza I've ever had. My wife and I used to drive up there from Los Gatos a couple of times a month before we moved to Tucson. It was worth the drive.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Major Player

I still love Blondie's on telegraph in Berkley!

since you have some strong hard tungsten lights already, you could add some lowel pro's with 250W bulbs to the mix..... lighting drama needs light for areas and these little spots are great for detail... I don't think one could own enough of them.

I to love the coolights cl150 frenels.... fantastic lights! but I'd only get them to complement some flo 4 or 6 banks.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management