Gobos, cookies, patterns at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gobos, cookies, patterns

I have an Arri kit with a 650w, 300w, and a 150w. My usual interview setup uses the 650 as my key and the 150 as my hair light with the 300 being my background light... I am trying to figure out the best way to fit the 300 with patterns for my backgrounds. Anyone use the 300w in this way? Is there a good kit that fits directly onto the light? I can't seem to find the product I'm looking for and that will fit on that light. Ideas welcomed Thanks.
Scott Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Trustee

the reason you can't find anything that goes on the front of the light is because there are none. it won't work. in order for a shadow pattern to cut, you need to move the light away from the cookie. the further away the light, the more distinct the pattern

only a few special lights like leco's (source4's) which have focused lens assemblies will have an internal slot for a gobo which will then project a pattern.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That makes sense, so how is this done? Or what is everyone's preferred method of accomplishing this? Thanks
Scott Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lancaster View Post
That makes sense, so how is this done? Or what is everyone's preferred method of accomplishing this? Thanks
Scott,

The typical process is to set up a C-stand with a gobo arm and knuckle, and use that to grip the cookie. Then you can position the cookie independently from the light and move it back and forth to get the pattern, the softness, and the size of effect you need.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Another way is to take black "monkey foil" and either cut a piece that will fit into a gel holder, or just clip it onto the barn doors of the light fixture.

Take a knife or a pencil, and cut/poke a small number of holes and slashes in it, and then shine the light through onto your background. Quick, easy and cheap...nice mottled pattern. I will say that unless you're at pretty close range, a 300w fixture will not throw a ton of light through the foil.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

What Bill said. He nailed it. I use both methods, depnding on what I have with me although my favorite is a Cello Cuc with a C-stand.

If you are cheap, pretty easy to make your own cool ones with foam core also, I have made some specialized ones when I needed a specific pattern. I once made one look like a wrought iron ornate Spanish style gate for a latin themed background. The only problem is that foam core doesn't travel well, it gets thrashed pretty easily.

You probably want a dimmer for that 300 as well.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Trustee

18"X24" peice of 1/4 luan, cut patterns with jig saw. ideally give 2 coats of polly urethane - they do get used outside. next standard size up is 24X36, but if you don't have a van, doesn't travel too well

holder is 3/8" steel rod and 2 3/8" cable clamps ( ubolts with bases )

I've got about 4 like this I've made. can't picture paying for something this simple to make plus then you get a different pattern on each one unlike the store bought ones that are all exactly alike. costs less then $10 ea to make.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
18"X24" peice of 1/4 luan, cut patterns with jig saw. ideally give 2 coats of polly urethane - they do get used outside. next standard size up is 24X36, but if you don't have a van, doesn't travel too well

holder is 3/8" steel rod and 2 3/8" cable clamps ( ubolts with bases )

I've got about 4 like this I've made. can't picture paying for something this simple to make plus then you get a different pattern on each one unlike the store bought ones that are all exactly alike. costs less then $10 ea to make.
Yeah, the plywood ones are really ridiculous, Matthews charges like $100.00 for a 24x36 one made of cheap plywood. If you are the least bit handy, you can easily make your own.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management