Arri 650 fresnel popping in and out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Arri 650 fresnel popping in and out?

I have two Arri 650 fresnels, but one of them has developed a problem. Basically, when you turn the focusing knob through its range from spot to flood and vice-versa, the bulb shuts off during a few positions along the track. You move the knob a hair this way or that however and it turns back on again. The light in question looks to be in excellent shape from the outside, has a brand new bulb, the wires look sound, and in general has been babied and seen infrequent use.

Their was one time, however, when we were finishing wrapping up when suddenly it started pouring outside. The lights were quickly shut off and weren't in the rain for long, but still...

The only thing is the other light is perfectly fine.

It's a bit puzzling to me. Has anyone else had this problem occur with their Arri fresnels?

Also, the other thing to note is that the good light makes a noticeable striking sound/click/pop when you switch it on. Whereas the intermittantly bad light strikes silently. Both were bought at the same time brand new from B&H.

Thanks for any feedback. Any idea how much it would cost to get this fixed?
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kim View Post
I have two Arri 650 fresnels, but one of them has developed a problem. Basically, when you turn the focusing knob through its range from spot to flood and vice-versa, the bulb shuts off during a few positions along the track. You move the knob a hair this way or that however and it turns back on again. The light in question looks to be in excellent shape from the outside, has a brand new bulb, the wires look sound, and in general has been babied and seen infrequent use.

Their was one time, however, when we were finishing wrapping up when suddenly it started pouring outside. The lights were quickly shut off and weren't in the rain for long, but still...

The only thing is the other light is perfectly fine.

It's a bit puzzling to me. Has anyone else had this problem occur with their Arri fresnels?

Also, the other thing to note is that the good light makes a noticeable striking sound/click/pop when you switch it on. Whereas the intermittantly bad light strikes silently. Both were bought at the same time brand new from B&H.

Thanks for any feedback. Any idea how much it would cost to get this fixed?
I have four of them and the only time I have experienced this was when the bulb wasn't well seated in the socket. I had one do this to me just last week. Try re-seating the bulb a few times with the light cold. As much as I love my Arri lights, I must say that they are among the toughest of all lights to properly seat the bulbs in. The Arri 150 is a real piece of work, reseating those bulbs is really tough since you cannot touch the bulb and are trying to twist it into the socket while holding it with plastic or foam or paper to keep your fingers off of it. The 650 is easier, it's just a straight push down affair, no twist needed like the 150.

1. How old are your lights?
2. I take lights to Arri all of the time. If it's out of warranty, it may cost some, but usually not too much in my experience.

Where are you located? Arri service for the west coast is in Burbank, Ca. I think the east coast might be located in NYC since when I was just there, I saw a huge Arri logo sign down near the Circle Line piers on one of the buildings.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks. I'll try that. I did after all JUST replace lights in both. Perhaps it got jostled, don't know. Will try out tonight. I am near Burbank by the way, the Arri you speak of is located right next to the Big 5 right?
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have several Arri fresnels from 150W to 2K. If the lamp is sitting properly then most likely when this problem occurs is the wires that connect the lamp assembly to the terminal block inside the light. Those two wires move every time you adjust the focusing knob. They are held in place by screws in the terminal block and those screws might need to be tightened but most likely you have a broken wire in which case the lamp assembly might need to be replaced.

Also check the main cable going into the light by simply moving the cable when the light is on. I've seen many of the Arri cable break internally at the point where the cable enters the light.

http://www.arri.de/infodown/light/ti...p_arri_300.pdf
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kim View Post
Cool, thanks. I'll try that. I did after all JUST replace lights in both. Perhaps it got jostled, don't know. Will try out tonight. I am near Burbank by the way, the Arri you speak of is located right next to the Big 5 right?
Yep, that's the place. They will take good care of you.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management