DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dark images

Occasionally I find the darker scenes in my footage look very dark on the final DVD, although the scene was adequately lighted at the time and looked fine on the NLE (Final Cut).

I use tungsten lights, however sometimes incandescent lights are also present in the scene. Could this be the problem? Could it be that they are confusing the camera? But is is strange that it only shows up on the final DVD. Maybe it is a compression issue???
Or something completely different??
Rich Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There is a lot to cover in discussing exposure from lighting to camera to final DVD.

If it seems like your camera viewfinder and NLE monitor aren't giving you good guidance as to final exposure levels, they are probably not set up correctly. That's a known issue, and there are several things you can do about it.

Start with your camera viewfinder and/or LCD set to the center position for brightness. If you turn up the brightness you will tend to underlight.

If possible, set it up with colorbars. Your camera may be able to generate them, or pull them off a tape. Adjust the brightness so the 10% pluge field is just barely visible, and the 7.5 and 0% look black. See this diagram, it only covers the lower right corner of the bars. (more in this thread.)

Learn to use and trust the zebra exposure indicators in your camera. Caucasian face highlights should typically be about 75, plus or minus. Anything above 100 shows no detail. Anything below about 60 should be a dark color or shadow.

Set up your NLE monitor with bars. Same as above.

Learn to use the waveform monitor available on your NLE. Same as above.

Look at your video in your NLE, check the monitor and scopes and adjust Brightness & Contrast or Color Correction for any scenes/shots that are off.

Set up your various monitors correctly, use the other exposure indicators, and your video will improve!

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; October 12th, 2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Corrected pluge field percentages
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I understand that every monitor, TV, projector, etc will show images slightly differently.

The question is why CERTAIN (darker) scenes will project VERY dark, while ALL the other scenes in the movie appear perfectly okay on whatever monitor, TV, projector is being used.

Somehow the darker scenes are ending up unusually dark (I have not used gain). Thanks
Rich Wells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management