Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 6th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Lighting technique for HD10

Hi all,

Next month during my company's winter shutdown, I will be getting the opportunity to perform a weekend test of the HD10.

I'm not a cinematographer/videographer. I setup shadows, say "looks good" and shoot, and more often than not, it doesn't quite pay off.

So, in trying to expand my knowledge of lighting technique and equipment, what kind of setup is recommended for dramatic projects (I know this leaves the door to interpretation wide open) to obtain a cinematic look with this particular camera?

My idea is to light for chiaroscura first, then use a master dimmer to kill the blown out areas.
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #2
Great DV dot com

Wow. That's like asking what brand of brush you should buy to paint a masterpiece.

I don't mean to be glib, but dramatic lighting is not one type of setup or another. I can't send you a "dramatic setup" diagram, each scene is lit individually to creatye mood, etc.

Your idea is not far off, except you need to control the highlights independently. DImming everything will throw your shadows too dark.

I'll humbly suggest you get a copy of my book Lighting for Digital Video and Television from Amazon or directly from CMP Books. This will give you a better idea of the issues and techniques.
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

John, we need to get a full-blown review of your book for our DV Info Net website. I'll try to make that happen before I see you again at DV Expo in L.A. in December (coming up fast).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #4
Great DV dot com

I'm missing LA this year due to a conflict -- but the review is a great idea!
Old November 8th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #5
Machinist Mate

Hey John, getting that book sounds like a great idea--I haven't read it.

What I have read that talks strictly about lighting is "Matters of Light and Depth" by Ross Lowel (as in Lowel brand lights).

I'll have to try yours too--Amazon One-Click here I come. (can never know too much about lighting)
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #6
Great DV dot com

When you get my book, you'll get to "meet" Ross Lowell, I profiled a bunch of the folks like Ross and Hochheim & Swink, the Kino Flo guys.
Old November 9th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Meeting Ross Lowell in John's book may be the next-best thing to meeting him in person, as I did earlier this year at a trade show in New York. John Jackman's book holds a specific value all on its own; adding folks like Ross into that mix only makes it an even better deal than it already is. Congrats John,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management