DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 8th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting interview documentries

I'm about to start doing some documentry interviews in a studio setting and I am wondering about lighting. Should I use Fresnels, studio soft lights? What do you guys recommend? And where is the best place to purchase lights?

Thanks, Matt Concialdi
Matt Concialdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #2
Chimera Lighting

Look for post a good basic lighting kit.

Check it out it is perfect for you

Chimera Item 8000 24z32 kit would be a great way to start out.

Let me know if I can help
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll check it out and if I have questions will hit you up with them.
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:37 PM   #4
Trustee

I agree with Richard, a nice soft light source is a really good start. There are a fair number of writeups on building a basic kit with a softybox.

There are a fair number of choices Westcott, Chimera, Photoflex and Lowel. The most populat are the Chimera, Lowel Rifa and Photoflex. The Photflex is the most inexpensive and gives good value, I own one. Chimera is the big name and costs a tad more. Shop around, Richard has mentioned the Chimera kits are very competatively priced and Photoflex has some deals on as well.

Many of the previous posts will give links to the manufacturer and suppliers sites.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll check them out too. I was told that todos (I think) are good soft lights to use. Am I spelling that right?
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:53 AM   #6
Trustee

Do you mean Tota's. They're an open faced broadlight that works very well in a softbox. By themsleves they are harsh and hard to control.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:07 AM   #7
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh :
There are a fair number of choices Westcott, Chimera, Photoflex and Lowel. The most populat are the Chimera, Lowel Rifa and Photoflex. The Photflex is the most inexpensive and gives good value, I own one. Chimera is the big name and costs a tad more. Shop around, Richard has mentioned the Chimera kits are very competatively priced and Photoflex has some deals on as well. -->>>

Which is the Photoflex model/kit you bought?

Which should be a Chimera equivalent?

Chimera does not seem to have a price list on their catalog.

These type of lights actually seem to be large frameworks to attach to specific light types. They seem to have a basic naked bulb socket to which you can also attach a framework. Am I right?

Without getting too much DIY, isn't it possible to assemble ourselves something like that? I remember when the Tota light was released, I built an aluminium frame myself for an open broad I had and it worked perfectly.

The key question here is how to hold the whole frame to the light.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:05 AM   #8
Chimera Lighting

YO YO YO..Happy December and kits

The Photoflex Medium Starlite kit is similar to the Chimera Item 8000.
Right now you can get the Chimera kit at a great price at

www.videogearshop.com

http://www.videogearshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=37
He can have the kits drop shipped out.

Also the Chimera kit Item 8000 has www.lighttools.com grids and a nice Avenger A635B stand as well as a Carry Bag.
Both Photoflex and Chimera currently use the same bulbs. Although the Chimera Mogul socket is easier to use an has a locking screw to keep the bank from rotating and a socket adapter to allow the Mogul socket to use a 250 watt bulb.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:23 PM   #9
Trustee

Carlos
There's a lot more to a soft box then some fabric and a few stringers. The Chimera, Westcott and Photoflex is made out of a double sided fabric. One side is a black heat resistant covering and insidw is a shiny silver. They're all impecably finishes with gyides to hold the support rods and velcro corners to allow for quick disassembly.

The soft box support rods fit into a metal frame that the light attaches to. The Star light and the light that Richard is talking about are made specifically for use in a softbox.

If you already have a Tota then just buy a speed ring and softbox.

The route I went was the Photoflex with speedring and manftotto master (04) stand ($75). The speed ring was $75 and the med (24x32) softbox with louvers and shadow mask was $180.

The kit that Richard mentions has the light tools grids and a really well made stand. Actually the 635 has the same rating as the manfrotto master. Manfrotto and Avenger have the same head office (Gruppo Manfrotto).

Starting from scratch that $525 kit has some premium extras that make it really attractive. The Mogul base adapter and bulb are worth a few bucks and the light tools stuff is absolutely first rate.

DIY on something that would hold a hot light and give you any shred of credabilty with a client would be very difficult and could wind up costing more in the long run.

If there was a fire with a DIY unit , the fact that it wasn't fire rated or electrically certified may negate any insurance coverage.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM   #10
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Carlos
There's a lot more to a soft box then some fabric and a few stringers. The Chimera, Westcott and Photoflex is made out of a double sided fabric. One side is a black heat resistant covering and insidw is a shiny silver. They're all impecably finishes with gyides to hold the support rods and velcro corners to allow for quick disassembly.-->>>

No need to explain on that. If they are still in the market, and that's a very competitive one, it's because details are quite well taken care of.

<<<-- The soft box support rods fit into a metal frame that the light attaches to. The Star light and the light that Richard is talking about are made specifically for use in a softbox. -->>>

Yes, I think I got to understand that on the catalog. But the basic Photoflex kit seems to be much cheaper.

<<<-- If you already have a Tota then just buy a speed ring and softbox. -->>>

No, I don't have a Tota anymore. But in fact it might be a nice way to start a kit mixing both technologies.

<<<--The route I went was the Photoflex with speedring and manftotto master (04) stand ($75). The speed ring was $75 and the med (24x32) softbox with louvers and shadow mask was $180. -->>>

Sounds like an interesting kit.

<<<--The kit that Richard mentions has the light tools grids and a really well made stand. Actually the 635 has the same rating as the manfrotto master. Manfrotto and Avenger have the same head office (Gruppo Manfrotto). -->>>

OK

<<<-- Starting from scratch that $525 kit has some premium extras that make it really attractive. The Mogul base adapter and bulb are worth a few bucks and the light tools stuff is absolutely first rate. -->>>

OK

<<<--DIY on something that would hold a hot light and give you any shred of credabilty with a client would be very difficult and could wind up costing more in the long run. -->>>

Of course I would never use a DIY tool on a client paid job. On such cases I would go for the best thing my budget allows, and the budget would have been done to include the minimum best.

But many times someone can devise a way that would cost you a fifth of what we would normally pay for a specifi product and allow a low-budget crew to still get good results.

Have you seen in the mini35 thread what a guy did with a 25-CD box, a CD disk and a toy engine?...

<<<-- If there was a fire with a DIY unit , the fact that it wasn't fire rated or electrically certified may negate any insurance coverage. -->>>

A point indeed, that would just ask for more caution. DIY doesn't by any means mean sloppy or careless.

In any case I am now too old to go for a DIY solution on a soft light.

Carlos E. Martinez
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:04 AM   #11
Trustee

"In any case I am now too old to go for a DIY solution on a soft light. "

That makes two of us :)

Maybe it's just because we're wiser?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM   #12
Major Player

"But many times someone can devise a way that would cost you a fifth of what we would normally pay for a specifi product and allow a low-budget crew to still get good results."

Since you brought it up, Carlos, check out the JTL Everlight Kit. You can find a rather extended thread on it on this site.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management