DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 30th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #1
New Boot

powering a camera mounted light?? XLR vs cigarette

I'm looking at purchasing a light for mounting on top of my camera (PDX10).

At the moment I'm leaning towards the NRG 56004. I'm attracted to this light mostly because you are able to dim and brighten the light instantously. Nothing worse in a dark event environment than having people run from your bright over powering light!!
Any other suggestions on lights to check out??

My particular question is about powering these lights.

What is the advantage of a XLR connection vs a cigarette lighter connection?

Can you mix brand of power packs without any problems???
i.e. if I buy my NRG light with XLR connector and then buy a different (non NRG) powerpack will I have problems???

thanks in advance
wes
Wes Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wes,
I agree that the dimmer is an essential feature on a camera top (obie) light. You can have just as much as you need to fill, and avoid the 'bunny-in-the-headlights' look.

You might like to look at the Lowel id-Light. This is part of the Pro-Light/i-Light system (Lowel call it the ViP system) so there are a number of useful accessories available. The id-Light has a dimmer, the i-Light doesn't.

I use mine with an NRG belt. There is no problem mixing manufacturers, as long as the voltage is correct.

The 4 pin XLR is more secure than a cigarette lighter connection, and the XLR4 is also used on most pro gear. The cigarette lighter isn't! You can always get a cigarette lighter to XLR4 connector if you ever want to get power from a cigarette lighter socket.

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:44 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the tip. Will check out the Lowell range.

The choices available are pretty limited here in Australia.
A possible plan at the moment is to purchase the light from the US, and just buy the battery locally.

One shop I spoke to said to avaoid the camera lights with dimmers as they cause interference with the camera's audio. Is this a legtimate concern?

wes
Wes Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wes,
You ask 'One shop I spoke to said to avoid the camera lights with dimmers as they cause interference with the camera's audio. Is this a legtimate concern?'

I've never experienced it from the id-Light with my VX2000 (BBC mod/Glensound box) or a standard PD150 - but these are hardly noise-free themselves. To check, I ran some tests tonight with unbalanced connections which I ran into an Audio Developments mixer (nice and quiet) and found no detectable noise. The tests included switching on and off and varying the dimmer. To quote from the Lowel catalogue: 'Its 20 kHz dimmer provides graceful dimming with no electronic interference in the camera.' I can believe it.

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management