DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:41 PM   #1
New Boot

HELP canon xl1s lighting

I need some help from some pros. I am a rookie with all of this. I recently got a canon xl1s and love it so far . I'm looking to get a light for indoor but mainly outdoor use in low light to dark conditions. I'm looking for something compact, light weight. Most of the filming will be 10- 15ft. away from the camera. What would you use? THANKS JEREMY
Jeremy Wenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Machinist Mate

Well, what I use on my XL1 is a Frezzi MiniFill with dimmer. Not cheap, but it'll probably outlast the camera. And with the 50 watt bulb, it really punches a big hole in the darkness. Be sure to get the dimmer model. A soft box or chimera also helps to tame the glare.

Other worthy candidates incluse Bescor, Cool-Lux, Anton-Bauer, Smith-Victor.
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A couple months ago I stopped to talk to a news camera man I happened to see. He had the coolest little Anton-Bauer light. It was only like 25 watts, and collapsed into itself so it could stay permanently mounted on the camera. The face of the light was frost glass with a hole the size of pencil eraser punched in the middle. Not much use for anything but run and gun, but it sure was cool.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Are we correct to assume that you want a battery light, but not necessarily a camera-top light?

I'd suggest looking at the 55&100 W Lowel id-Light as well. It focusses and dims, and is part of the Lowel system.

Would your budget stretch to a mini HMI (top side of a thousand bucks)? Frezzi and Arri, among others, make lights that are worth considering if you want the most light for the least battery drain.

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management