Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

4x4 frames and a couple of Q

Hi,

I'd like to ask a couple of questions, I've tried searching for these items, but I'm need an idea of what i'm looking at.

I'm finishing in putting a low budget (1200) lighting kit together. My budget has pretty much run out after buying the redheads/cables/filters.

What is foamcore?? I'm not sure what to look for? I am based in the UK.

I'm looking to buy a 4x4 diffusion frame. I'm not sure of what they are called, or if they come with stands etc? My budget is dwindling, so if anyone can offer some advice. That would be great p.s i dont want to use a soft box on a redhead.

I'm also looking to buy a 3x3 bounce board with some sort of stand. Should i be looking at those fold up circular bounce boards? Or is there something better I could use?

Ive only got three stands with my redhead kit, would you guys recommend buying more stands incase i need them for flags/diffusion/foamcore? How many?

Thank you, for your time.
Andrew
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Foam core is a very simple material found at art supply stores (mostly). It is styrofoam (polystyrene) sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of cardboard. The cardboard can be different colors but for your use you would want the plain white. Its often used as a bounce board because its so simple and inexpensive. Its also used as flags (you can buy it in black cardboard as well). You can buy it in different thicknesses and size of sheets too. I think the 1/4" is probably the most common. I've seen sheet sizes up to about 4' x 8'. You can get a large one and cut it down to the sizes you need or just buy smaller sheets. You can also buy special gaffer tools to mount foam core on a stand for bouncing or flag use. Different kinds of clamps, etc.

Yes a 5 in one reflector has a lot of uses and they are not terribly expensive, at least in the USA. One of the uses of the 5 in 1 is as a diffusion frame, besides all the different colors of reflectors its got in it.

At least 2 extra stands would come in handy for holding your bounce boards and diffusion. But, it all depends upon the size of your shoot as to how many of everything you need.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I use a 5:1 as a diffusion frame too. great solution. I use it with a c stand though.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management