Fresnel to Round out my Kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Tourist

Fresnel to Round out my Kit

I am looking to expand my lighting .."collection" I guess.

Right now, I have:
- 3x Tota lights with umbrellas, stands, and barn doors
- 2x Halogen Worklamps
- 1x 30" china ball at 300W (considering bulbing at 600w though) w/ c-stand

And as such, looking to fill in that last (for now) gap with a Fresnel / stand.

I'm considering the CoolLights 650W fresnel as my top choice, $380 shipped with a stand.

Also tossing around the idea of the ImageWest.tv 650W BlueLine fresnel.

Any other options I am missing? Any suggestions for what to look at? The ImageWest and CoolLights almost look like identical lights, and prices are close enough to indicate I might be right, so that may not even matter.

edit: This is for filming short films and whatnot. Basically, going to see the gamut and want to have a decent kit on hand for most situations.
Francis Setash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Contributor

I would probably go with the Coollights. Most people who buy from them have been happy and I think the owner is reputable and posts on here a lot, and is quick to answer questions with technical accuracy.

Also, I'd be very careful using bigger bulbs in a Chinese lantern. You might want to look at something like an 85 watt fluorescent, which should put out as much as your 300 watt tungsten bulb and runs cool.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks; that is indeed what I ended up doing - got the CoolLights 650W Fresnel + LS4 stand. Should suit me well.

Lighting kit for my next short:

3x Tota's w/ 8' stands
2x worklamps (short, ugh)
1x chinaball (I mentioned its lamped at 300w; by that I meant 300W equivalent in CFL, so really only about 80w ;)) + 10' C-stand
1x 650W fresnel w/ 8' stand

Tota's have umbrellas and barn doors, got numerous gels, etc. Does that sound like a serviceable kit? Anything I'm missing for interior short shooting?
Francis Setash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Contributor

None of those lights except the fresnel have much in the way of control to keep the light off of where you don't want it. I don't know what types of things you're shooting, but i'd probably leave the work lights at home, and maybe get a couple of C-stands with flags, or at least some of Lowel's flex arms and flags for the Totas.

You have gels, but don't forget the C-47s. Those metal clips on the Tota barn doors aren't very useable.

Calumet in Chicago has some fairly inexpensive short C-stands, but if you don't want to spend money on C-stands, you can always buy a C-stand head that will also fit on a light stand, and that allows you to use an extra light stand as sort of a C-stand for holding a flag or gobo.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management