Lower cost lighting alternatives? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 5th, 2001, 05:52 PM   #1
Machinist Mate

Lower cost lighting alternatives?

I wonder if anyone here has experimented with some of those halogen work lights like sold @ Home Depot, warehouse clubs, etc. ...or even automotive fog/driving lamps for the 12-volt side. They sure are a lot less $$ than Lowel, Arri, etc. and yes I know there is a reason for those high prices...
Just seems that if we can improvise Sears toolboxes into camera cases and baseball bat bags into tripod cases, then maybe we can adapt other items from the outside world. It'd be fun anyway.
Old November 5th, 2001, 11:52 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Already have an article about this on the website... go to dvinfo.net, choose Articles, "Build your own Home Depot Lighting Kit." Enjoy,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2001, 11:25 AM   #3
Wrangler

Try Fluorescent Too.

Here's a good write up on how to use color corrected fluorescent lamps.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/FL-Lights.htm

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2001, 03:25 PM   #4
Major Player

For decent kicker lights, or if you just need to toss some fill in the corner, etc...i use a pretty cheap solution...

I picked up a few "Clamp Lamps", you know those lights with the silver domes that have the clip hanging off the back... I put a par 30 or 38 halogen globe in them. Then I took a sheet of LEE 216 (217 is good too if you need a 1/8 ctb on there also), and made a little box out of it, and gaff-taped this to the front of the dome, forming a nice little soft box light. I made 3 of these just this past week to supplement my regular light kit, and have found that they work quite well.

-c
Casey Visco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management