DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 21st, 2002, 01:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lighting an interview

Hey, I got a paying gig to tape an interview. Easy, one step up.
I will be using the xl-1.
But I can't drag my home depot, thrown together lighting rig into this shoot. Can anyone advise me as to a cheap (relatively) effective, lighting combo? You know, dress to impress.
Thanks.
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 02:20 PM   #2
Warden

The easiest and least expensive will be to piece together a small kit at a camera store. You'll need an inexpensive lightstand ($20-$50), a 12" reflector ($10-$20), a 120v 500watt lamp socket ($10-$20) and a couple of 500 watt photo lamps ($5-$10). Total investment will end up around $100 per light or less. Smith Victor makes more modestly priced kits. Samigon (Korean) is another inexpensive kit maker. If it's a one time deal, you might look into what a rental would cost for a day. Lowel kits will run you hundreds of dollars as will the Photoflex Starlites.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 02:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

Have you had any experience working with the Photoflex Starlites? I was wondering if they were worth the price they commanded.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 02:53 PM   #4
Warden

Paul,

Do a search, you'll find a discusion on them. I like them for table top work that I do. I like the soft boxs and the look they give. I don't think they would be the best choice for your interviewsand speakers that you do. Small product shots, they're great.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 06:00 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Paul,

Do a search, you'll find a discusion on them. I like them for table top work that I do. I like the soft boxs and the look they give. I don't think they would be the best choice for your interviewsand speakers that you do. Small product shots, they're great.

Jeff -->>>

Jeff,

That is kind of what I thought. For the cost of the Photoflex Starlites, it just does not deliver on what I need. The Lowel Tota should fit the bill. My kit should be here on Friday, so I will have a better opinion at that time.

I am also looking at getting the Lowel DP 4 for additional lighting. This package with the Tota should be an excellent mixture of lights.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 09:34 PM   #6
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

how about renting a lowel kit ? approx 25-35 day, probably the same for the weekend ...

usually there are 3 lights . comes with stands, umbrella and other little gadgets ... all in a one case

or you could rent a arri kit w/ couple of fresnel units ... maybe 40-45 day ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 10:40 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Chet,
Depending on the location of your interview you might be able to get away with one lamp and a reflector. If you can key your subject using natural light from a nearby window you can use the reflector for fill. You can then either use a single light as a back/rim light to lift the subject from the background or as a background light. That way you might be able to schlep one of your "Home Depot" lights along. It's a 3-point system on the cheap and can be just as effective.

FWIW, my favorite setup is a Lowell Caselight as the key, a Photoflex disc for fill, a Lowell Omni as a back light and, if necessary, another Omni or a Tota for background. Since the Caselight is a flourescent panel it's much cooler (and more comfortable for the subject) than using a filament lamp for a key. I generally use CT-blue gels on the Omnis and the Tota to balance to the Caselight.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 07:45 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

I have a Lowel ViP kit, and have been a little disapointed with the knobs and stands. The knobs are plastic, and will snap off if tightened too hard. Unfortunately, they also won't hold an umbrella too well, unless overly tightened.

As far as the stands, they are just a bit on the flimsey side, and sandbags are a must.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 09:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

caselight

Thanks everyone for the input! right now, seeing as how I know nothing about pro lighting rigs I will probably rent.

Ken - You say you gel the omni and totas lights to match the caselight? why? Why not gel the caselight instead? Also, this is going to be a long shoot, hours...so i can't rely on sunlight. I really like the idea of a flourescent key!
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 10:10 AM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Re: caselight

<<<-- Originally posted by Chet Hardin : Thanks everyone for the input! right now, seeing as how I know nothing about pro lighting rigs I will probably rent.

Ken - You say you gel the omni and totas lights to match the caselight? why? Why not gel the caselight instead? Also, this is going to be a long shoot, hours...so i can't rely on sunlight. I really like the idea of a flourescent key! -->>>

Good question, Chet. Indeed, you can use a CT-Orange gel to balance the Caselight to the Omni. I've tried it and it works. But I usually find myself having to tone-down the back light (Omni) to keep it from becoming too (visually) hot so I've found it easier to gel the Omni since the gel cuts the light a bit. Plus, I often find that a slightly warm (color) back light works well on people with light complexions and lighter hair color. Since the Omni still stays relatively warm with one CT-B gel it seems to work well for me.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #11

Chet,

Check out Ross Lowell's "Matters Of Light And Depth" - very easy to understand with many image examples from an excellent Lighting Master. Very inspirational stuff!

www.lowel.com/download/lowellbook6_02.pdf
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 01:54 PM   #12
Major Player

Chet,

I was wanting to ask how the interview went and what lighting choice you made. I also wanted to ask why the Home Depot set-up would not have worked. I am planning on buying some wheeled rubbermaid plastic bins to cart the lighting/equipment in. I was curious why you didn't get inventive with a system to transport the lights. I admit the tripods are a bit bulky but this also has it's advantages. Of course if you had to travel commercially almost any set-up would be a pain.
Thanks
Don
Don Parrish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management