DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 2nd, 2002, 06:41 AM   #1
GreenRubberPlant

I'm looking for a lighting package for dv

I'm looking for a lighting package that won't burn up my wallet for dv filmmaking with a vx2000. Is there anything under 1000 bucks that I could consider getting?
Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:41 AM   #2
Wrangler

Check out Lowel kits. They offer many different kits. Ebay is always a solution too if you are looking to save some coin.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:45 PM   #3
Major Player

yeah auctions r cool

i got a 10k+ rig for under $1000

2blondes 2reds and 4broads 6stands and 1 case from auctions - all with barndoors and all in good condition

check out these auction/ for sale links

http://www.ebay.com
http://www.arri-auction.com/
http://www.mandy.com/1/class.cfm

check out hire and studio sites - they too have stuff 4sale all the time
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:56 PM   #4
Major Player

forgot to add

unlike anything else in this game lights are easily serviced by yourself at low cost

most problems can be sorted with fresh wiring, new lampholders (very important to save bulb life) and new switch gear

what I do is strip them down apply no-rust where needed and throw the parts in the dishwasher and build them up like new.

dale-electric.com is a good start for getting spares
Old October 5th, 2002, 03:40 PM   #5
Trustee

In DV you don't require a whole lot of light but quality of light. Have a peek at
www.photoflex.com
They manufacture a comprehensive range of soft boxes and umbrellas. What your after will be a Silver Dome NXT. It gives off a beautifully soft and low intensity light. The worst thing in the world is 500 watt plus lights glaring down on your subject. people don't feel at ease when they're blinded by the lighting.

I use a Photoflex medium with a Lowel tota. i usually lamp it with a 750 watt, which by the time it is difused isn't very intense. For fill I use either a reflector or white foamcore or plasticore. both are only around $10 for a 4 x 8 ft sheet. I use an Arri 300 watt fresnell as a kicker. I have a 650 watt open face that I used to use with an umbrella, but that hasn't seen use in more than a year. If I was to expand my rig I'd buy another medium photoflex and a Lowel prolight.

For lowel go to www.lowel.com

There is an excellant Arri handbook available at
http://www.arri.com/infodown/light/broch/li_hand.pdf
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 04:45 PM   #6
Major Player

I beg to differ Bryan.

The lighting arrangements discussed in the Arri book are all geared for portrait type lighting which lends more to still photography than video. If your shooting video with more than one person and they move around then you will need more than a few garden lights and preferably you will need to keep them out of shot

Bouncing light means your going to lose stops same as diffusing light so in the end if you are going to be creative you will ultimately need power at your disposal. That power needs to be controlled and shaped using color and ND gels, diffusers, reflectors and so on as each situation demands.

Furthermore there are other considerations that power gives you such as freedom over choice of aperture (DOF) and CCD noise after all you dont want those light photons coming in as a dribble causing noise artifacts.

Go visit your local TV studio and realise how much light they use and also check out some DVDs (AI is a good one) were they show how the movie was made and what lighting was used. You can never have too much light -- its the control of it that counts and which determines its quality not the name on the side of the lamp.
Old October 5th, 2002, 08:36 PM   #7
Trustee

The Arri book is free and gives some basic incite. The 3 point lighting is still legit for small settings and interview.

here's anorther link . It includees all facits of broadcast production. This link is for the lighting segment.

http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp027.htm

So far as 10K, that's 90 amps at 110 volts.Standard rating of 120 volt is 83 amps but most locals run lower. To be within code that would be 113 amp capacity @110 volts.(North American codes require protection based on 125% of Full Load Amps. A load of this nature would be run at 220 volts with a neutral. This would really cripple the average establishment. A secondary feed or a generator might be required.

I guess if your into full scale production and have an understanding client with lots of spare ampacity that's OK. For the average interview or small function I really think less is better.
That's just my opinion.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 11:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have a brand new Lowel Kit up for sale at ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1386922148&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

We bought it for a crew that never materialized. Its not selling cheap but it is brand new not a scratch on it and comes with 5 500 watt 3000k lamps.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management