UV Filters - slim? Non-slim? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 16th, 2002, 12:22 AM   #1
Trustee

UV Filters - slim? Non-slim?

Ok, like any sensible videographer I went out and got a nice yummy heliopan UV filter for my new Xm2. I stuck the thing on, nice, then went to stick my lens cap on and....oops, no go. I then noticed I'd been sold the slim version, and was wondering if I took it back and got the non-slim version would that allow room for my lens cap?

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 02:39 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I prefer the slim line but I think the regular size offers a bit more protection. Regarding your question, I don't know. Lens caps come in different types, it may or it may not fit. Just last week I bought a 52mm lens cap, and I had to return it because it wouldn't fit! So I just used my old one---with the big ugly blemish in its center. Yuk.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 03:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Ok, sure there must be a million Gl2 owners out there also who've come across this problem. What did you guys do? Buy another lens cap? Is there a filter brand that is deep enough not to have the cap touch the filter?
Old October 17th, 2002, 03:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Did you try thre regular Heliopan version with thread in front. This will give you somewath more room for the cap.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:25 PM   #5
Trustee

Dre, I went back to the shop and they contacted their distributor and they didn't have the regular size :(. I tried the cap on another regular size heliopan and it still touched the glass, just not as much. I decided to just put it on, hoping that it won't scratch. I might get some thin felt material and put it on that pin that allows you to clip it on the hand strap for safe keeping (It's the pin that's touching it, so I could remove it and just let the cap dangle as I use it)
Old October 18th, 2002, 07:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Buy the cheapest possible filter (uv, haze...) remove the glass and screw it on yr (regular) UV filter. As far as I know Heliopan has regulars available in all sizes...
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management