DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 17th, 2002, 11:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Multi-Coated Filters

There's a massive difference in price between your regular filter and multi-coated filters. Does anyone here swear by either one? Do you think multi-coated are worth the extra $ (in many cases twice the price)?

I'm buying a Circular Polarizer, and am torn between the Hoya blue series (the ones made in Japan), or something a bit more upscale like a B+W (German).

Which brings me to another interesting point - I've also heard Japanese cameras should stick to Japanese-made filters. And that otherfilter, German B+W for example, are a waste of money and dont give you any better visuals with the Japanese-made optics of the lens. What's up with that?
Old October 17th, 2002, 01:37 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want best contrast ( lowest glare/reflections) with the filter in front, go for a multicoated filter and don't waste your money for a circular get a linear, if you want to use it for video only.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes I'll be using it for video only, however you're the first to say go linear. I don't use auto focus much, but everyone else praises circular. Not long ago a couple of board members claimed a better picture with the circular. What are your reasons?
Old October 19th, 2002, 08:31 AM   #4
Warden

Multi coated filters are vastly superior to single coated filters at reducing flare, ghost images and a multitude of other optical anomalies. Get the best filter you can afford. The German filters are superior to the other brands in almost every respect. They start with better and different (blanks) glass. The coatings are better and so are the metal components (mounting ring, retainer).

The subject of circular vs. linear is a personal one based on your usage, equipment and personal perspective.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2002, 01:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Circular polarisers...difficult to bring (SLR) people back to reality...Apart from the extra wavelength and angle of incidence dependent retarder layer, and the higher price, there are no drawbacks when using circ polars.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management