Learning Lighting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 8th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #16
Regular Crew

DVD by Bill Holshevnikoff

Being curious about lighting myself, I checked out Bill Holshevnikoff's site [http://www.power-of-lighting.com/] after having read this thread. I watched the preview to one of his videos and liked it. I then e-mailed him and asked whether he will be releasing a DVD (PAL) version of his videos. He replied that by September his videos should be available in PAL on DVD - I take it this will be true for the NTSC version as well.
Halfdan J. Damskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #17
DVCreators.Net

Here's a quote from a review over at Digital Producer.com http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...e.jsp?id=25346

"Off the top of my head I can only think of about three training video series that cover basic lighting for video. At NAB 2004 the list got both longer and shorter. Longer in the sense that there are now more videos available, and shorter in the sense that there is now one video I recommend for those wanting to know the basics of lighting for video."

He reviews the DV Enlightenment DVD from DVcreators.net

I would also recommend Ross Lowel's book, "Matters of Light and Depth"
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #18

Cool....

I just got this in the mail today. I ordered it after seeing the XL2 video that you guys (DVcreators.net) made. If no one minds, I'll post my comments to this link after I watch it. By the way, you guys do a nice job on your on-line product demo's.
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #19

Great Video

Please keep in mind that I'm pretty new to this so my opinion is from a novice viewpoint.

This DVD was exactly what I needed. I think I'll probably watch it a couple more times and know that it will have a permanent place in my office. Watching this stuff is soooooo much easier than reading about it. Since everyone in this forum shoots video, I don't have to explain the advantages of watching a DVD vs. reading from a book.

I think I'll be able to make better decisions on what kind of lights to purchase and how to use them as well. I would imagine that I'll be referring back to this DVD when I start shooting with my XL2.

Thanks.
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I just started reading Jackman's book and I'm really impressed. I think it's one of my better book buys in the last few months.
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:13 PM   #21
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Byrnes
Walter Graff is currently creating a DVD series on lighting. See
http://www.bluesky-web.com/dvd1headshot.htm

But be aware that Walter sometimes changes his mind about things.
Not this time! The first in a series of DVDs that teach film style lighting is now available on my site at a price anyone can afford. It's called "The Vignette series" and in the first one I spend an hour showing you how to light heads like there is no tomorrow. You might ask how can a head-shot teach me anything? Well it's the foundation for everything you do. When you can do this right, it's amazing what the other possibilities are. It's kind of like the gateway to all lighting.
Walter Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:26 PM   #22
Regular Crew

lighting videos a scam?

After reading through this thread a couple days ago, I was working to convince my employer/producer that he might pick-up one of the mentioned videos to help educate members of our staff, such as myself, who dont have a CLUE about lighting stuff.

His reply was that althese lighting videos were a scam produced to sell specific lights from specific manufacturer(maybe they would say these 'looks' could only be achieved with specific parts?). His claim didnt make sense to me. Aren't lighting concepts pretty 'transferable' between the various manufacturers' models?

Any reply to this?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:32 PM   #23

I've seen two DVD's so far and neither encouraged me buy a specific brand. And actually one of them even encouraged the viewer to take advantage of how far technology has come by making your own lights with common items found at a hardware store.

The two DVD's that I watched both focused on the "how to's" of lighting for various shooting environments.

Before seeing these DVD's I was thinking that I was going to have to spend quite a bit on lighting. I thought that the more I spent, the better it would look. I've now realized that was not the right way to think.

Now I'll probably spend about a third of what I had originally planned.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:15 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I needed to hear that, thank you.

stefan
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:13 AM   #25
Major Player

I purchased the 1st in the series a couple of days ago... haven't received it yet.

I always purchase new material for my library... unless they are very poorly done, it is always a good investment to build your database :-)
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this forum. Today I went to get the Jackman book and I enjoyed it too. It's been pretty helpful so far. Thanks for the recommendation guys!
Martin Taidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has posted, I think Iam going to grab some books and DVDs ya'll recommended. Thanks to everyone's comments and everyone with future comments, ya'll have been a great help.
~Matt

Last edited by Matt Sawyers; September 13th, 2005 at 09:14 PM. Reason: stupid spelling mistakes
Matt Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #28
New Boot

Walter's First DVD

I received Walter's dvd a couple of days ago, and I must say it is very informative. He covers a lot of information with practical applications to video and film. He shows you the equipment he is using to get his results as well. He shows how to break away from the standard hard 3-point lighting setup and use a minimum of lights to get pleasing results for both men and women. I highly recommend this video. It would be an invaluable resourse to those just starting out with video and an enlightment possibly to those who are stuck lighting the same way for every shoot. I can't wait to see his next one. Kudos to Walter!
Zach Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #29

Matt,

You are welcome. Glad to help. 1,300 views of "Learning Lighting," wow.

I just got Walter's DVD as well. Looking forward to it even more after reading the comments above.
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #30

Zach's write up is accurate. I will be buying the next DVD Walter releases.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management