New LED from Switronix - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Although it can be done - I spent yesterday chasing around after our federal politicians with a LED 256 mounted on a broadcast cam, heaps of punch but dimmable.

A bit slow to slip in the CTO filter but if I was doing this all the time I'd rig up a swing away filter & diffuser.
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for your comments Rohan, glad to hear that's working well for you. How'd you mount it on the cam?
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM   #18
Major Player

I had the light upside down so I could get to the dimmer knob (but that did slow down filter change) Attached to camera handle with an israeli/noga arm and resting on the Mattbox for a bit of extra support.

At one stage I was set up with my LED600s near to an ABC crew with their new 1x1 panels - I didn't have time to do a side by side shot comparison but I was very happy with the performance of the 12volt 600s
Attached Thumbnails
New LED from Switronix-photo.jpg  
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:59 PM   #19
Major Player

Very cool. Never thought about mounting upside down like that. That would slow down putting in a filter but luckily the accessory lock on the top will keep the filter from sliding out. Thanks for posting that.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM   #20
Trustee

So how does this light compare to say the litepannels micro pro? I took one of those out on a job and it put out a little less than my lowell i-light with a soft box (55 watt).
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I'd like to know how it compares to the LP MicroPro as well. Anyone?
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
So how does this light compare to say the litepannels micro pro? I took one of those out on a job and it put out a little less than my lowell i-light with a soft box (55 watt).
Randy and Annen, the LED256 will have much more intensity and throw than the LP MicroPro. But keep in mind that the LP MicroPro is meant to be used as an on camera light and the LED256 is meant to be used as an off camera light. So while both lights can be used off camera, the LED256 will give you more options as it will be a much stronger light.

If you are thinking of a light for on camera purpose, then don't look to the LED256 for this, as it's going to be much too large for most on camera applications.

I have used these on several shoots already, mainly for interviews to go along with the LED600 and love them.

But I have also used a pair of LED256 lights on opposite corners of a dance floor for supplemental lighting, and I was very pleased with it. I used to use a ReceptionLight light which was a pair of NRG Varalux lights (75 watts) mounted on a 11-13 light stand and powered by large battery belts at the base. These lights were used as supplemental lighting for wedding reception usage and placed on opposite corners of a dance floor, and used with some on camera light for fill. I was happy with them, but wanted something smaller with more pop to it, which is why I picked up a couple LED256 lights, and I am much happier with the results. As the output form the LED256 was significantly stronger then the 75w tungsten light that I was using. And the spot configuration of the beam works nicely for the long throw on the dance floor.

Keep in mind that this is used for supplemental purposes as I use onboard camera lighting as well, a pair of Comer1800s. But I love these lights for remote usage, as they're small and portable enough to take anywhere and can be powered any way you like.

I have some remote interview shoots coming up in the next few months, where I have to fly to my destination and will be taking the pair of LED256s with me. Looking forward to putting them to the test in the field. I might also try bringing a LED600 with me, but logistics in air travel might prevent me from doing so.

EDIT: Just of note, I have tried many LED lights; LP Micro, LP MicroPro, Sony HVL-LBP, TorchLED TL50, Zylight Z90, Comer1800 etc. And like the Zylight Z90 the best, but it's too expensive for me, so for on camera use I prefer the Comer1800, as it's the most powerful of the bunch, dimmable, and self powered. But I wanted to move to all cool lights for off camera use, and have found that the CoolLights work great for my current needs. I mihgt be adding a FLO light to the mix, but LEDs are so convenient because they draw very little power and thus better for field use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management