New Coollights LED600 Arrived Today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #1
Major Player

New Coollights LED600 Arrived Today

We have just taken delivery of 2 new Coollights LED600 panels fitted with V-Lock battery adapter and a T-Bar to use both lights together.

Congratulations Richard! my first impressions are very positive, they are well made, and that really is a nice little carry case they come in. We put them on to the T-bar and fitted IDX 7s batteries and they powered up just fine with all the switches working as they should.

They will be going out on a number of jobs shortly (from industrial to interviews) so we will take some pics of them in action and add them to a review we have done of the Lite Panels and Kelvin Tyle LED products we demoed in the studio recently.

Well done Richard, I really think you have a real winner with these, they are a very nice size with a very useable light source - in fact, my first impressions are that you really have got that size (8x8) just right, particularly for air travel. Perhaps one thing you may want to think of is, supplying a protective front screen (like the 1X1 LP) - I can see that being useful in dirty/dusty conditions. Anyway... this looks like a great product.

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for your comments Stewart!

I answered your email about the protective panel but I'll answer here as well. We know about the plastic protection panel on the 1x1 but didn't include it because we were somewhat worried about heat buildup between the panel and the plastic sheet protection. One thing is, we drive our LEDs to just below spec for them to get the output we get. Most other panels and products on the market underdrive the LEDs so they run cooler than ours do but are also weaker in output. We did put our LEDs well back into the case as one measure of protection. And you might consider a sheet of thick acetate if you are really worried about it, or a sheet of cracked ice diffusion panel which should not cut too much light but should actually help make the output a bit less hard than it is now.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have never understood how to determine the comparable light from LED set ups. I currently shoot content with 3 seperate tungsten lights with 1000 watt bulbs and silk diffusers on softboxes. How does the light from an LED panel compare? How many of these would I need to equal each of my current lights?

Thanks!

Bill
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Major Player

You just take the lux or footcandle measured output of the LED fixture and compare it to the lux or footcandle measured output of other existing fixtures such as tungsten or hmi fresnels. That's what we did when we said our LED panel was about equivalent of a 650w tungsten fresnel. I took the photometrics for an Arri, then ran my own readings at equivalent distances and compared them. The assumption was supported in this way.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

makes sense. Now i just have to figure out how to measure that for my current lights and then compare it to your LED panels. :-) Do you provide the output information for your panels on the website? I didnt notice it anywhere.

Thanks!

Bill
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Having been using two of these panels in an industrial location both via V-Lock battery and mains power, we have been very surprised at the light output, they have exceeded our expectations. We planned to use them as fill lights along with conventional open faced Arri 2Ks and ended up keeping the Arris in the box!

We will have a link available to a review we have done on these lights in a day or two and you will see from the pics some of the set ups.

So far we are very impressed…

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Looking forward to read your review!
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Me too! Please post here as soon as it is up.

Thanks!

Bill
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Major Player

I added photometrics specs to the product page now:

CL-LED600 600 LED Panel - Cool Lights USA

But will post here as well...

Lux output of the panels (2 feet, 4 feet and 6 feet respectively for each fixture):

Cool Lights 5600K spot 40 degree 7200L 2610L 740L
Cool Lights 5600K flood 60 degree 6000L 1900L 600L
Cool Lights 3200K spot 40 degree 7100L 2510L 690L

For comparison sake here are the specs of an Arri 650w fresnel...

Arri 650 12 degree spot 7694L 2770L 693L
Arri 650 30 degree medium 2542L 915L 229L
Arri 650 52 degree flood 1417L 510L 128L
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Major Player

wow... impressive specs Richard!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
Cool Lights 5600K flood 60 degree 6000L 1900L 600L
Arri 650 52 degree flood 1417L 510L 128L
Am I reading this right?

Richard's lights at 60 degrees puts out more than 4 times the light than a 650-watt light with 52 degrees of coverage?

If so, then, "wow".

Was that because the 650-watt light was gelled with a full CTB to get a 5200K light?
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Dean,

I can't answer specifically how they tested them but no gels were used as it was just a standard photometrics spec for the Arri 650w by itself. I just took the specs from Arri's website for comparison purposes.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #13
Inner Circle

OK. Thanks, Richard.

I was wondering how well these might do as a replacement for my Lowell Tota Lights.

I generally use them with a 750 W lamp to light up a green screen that's 10 feet wide. In which case I'd need two floods.

Not sure what I'd use as a key since I generally try to simulate sunlight. Although I could use a tungsten light and gel it.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Major Player

Wow Richard those specs are impressive. Once I get done with school and get a real job(hopefully) I'll have to get more of your stuff.

By the way, your 150W HID worked great in a cave with a car battery and a 400W inverter. Unfortunately I didn't bring a light for fill so my video didn't turn out well enough to post. I will post the final product when I get it done.

Thanks again for making great products!
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Hehe, Eric you're always crawling around in tight and claustrophobic spaces with our lights. You may be the first to have used the CDM with an inverter on a battery like that. I hope at some point we can make a DC version of the ballast which would alleviate the need for that inverter.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm still out here with much more planned. We're still on it and we're not slowing down.
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management