New Coollights LED600 Arrived Today - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Actually, that's right regarding the higher voltage.

Some aircraft have 28 volt systems and that allows the use of thinner wires since fewer amps need to be carried. Thinner wires, of course, means less weight.
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM   #47
Major Player

My LED's are on the FedEx truck and I should have them on Monday 2/23. Can hardly wait!

One power alternative is the Tekkeon MP3400. I use Tekkeon's with the Zylight (in fact, Zylight markets them as well as a custom tip), my Firestore (when I was in the P2 world) and just a ton of other applications.

I've contacted Tekkeon for pin-outs to construct a custom cable from Tekkeon to light. This would provide an excellent power option. With a capacity to power anything up to 20V (Tekkeon 3700), 50 watt, and 4100 mAh @ 12v, I'll let Richard do the math to determine how long this battery would power the light.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM   #48
Major Player

Acording to Tekkeon's website MP3450 gives 50Wh, so you should get an hour or just over an hour for one light....I never saw an MP3400 version.

Oh and Richard I understand why you charged the way you charged for shipping the MAM1, since I think I recall seeing it was out of stock...sorry for my complaint on that, I wish you nothing but the best.

Hopefully I'll have my LED light in a week or two also.

*is excited also*
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #49
Major Player

I meant MP3450... Thanks
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM   #50
Major Player

I think Eric's right. About an hour or so of use would be my calculation.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM   #51
Major Player

Eric,

I have some Tekkeon packs and was wondering about if I should use them instead of v-lock batteries. I'd be interested to see what sort of leads you come up with.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #52
Major Player

In case I didn't post it: Pin 1 Ground / Pin 4 DC + voltage. Pins 2 and 3 not used. This is pretty much the standard as far as I can tell for 4 pin XLR broadcast type connections.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Hi all:

FWIW, I finished the fabrication of our speed ring for the LED 600 yesterday. It is pretty great, works well with the small Chimera. I will shoot some stills of it to post here later tonight. The only downside is that my welding guy doesn't know how to TIG weld so we had to fabricate it from steel, rather than aluminum.

So I can now easily use a small Chimera with the LED 600 flood and spot. So far, it seems as if both lights function well, with the spot obviously having more throw through the Chimera but the flood filling up the softbox with a more even distribution of light.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
FWIW, I finished the fabrication of our speed ring for the LED 600 yesterday. It is pretty great, works well with the small Chimera. I will shoot some stills of it to post here later tonight.
Wow. Can't wait to see this. I should be getting my LED 600 flood soon (it's in the post). Hadn't thought of putting a speed ring on it.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #55
Inner Circle

My lights just arrived.

The nylon case is quite nice and very handy.

I plugged in one of the lights and turned it on. Seemed a bit dimmer than what I expected. After a few minutes of pointing it around the room I noticed a 3/8" diameter rod extending out the bottom. I was wondering what it was and discovered it rotated -- the light also got brighter!

Duh!

I'll do a comparison between this light and the FloLight LED.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM   #56
Major Player

Just got back from chasing the FedEx truck with my lights. Idiot driver claimed "couldn't find my street." Fortunately, I noticed the "delivery exception" on FedEx tracking and could get on the phone. I was so ticked that I told the FedEx station clerk "This driver should learn to say Welcome To WalMart." Her response-- "Are you a WalMart location?"

Anyway... the box is here and when I calm down I'll open it!

In other news, I've ordered an extra cable for the Tekkeon and will make a custom Tekkeon to XLR cable.

Ned
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM   #57
Major Player

Lights are both unpacked and here are some first impressions, echoing many of the other initial impressions users have posted on "both boards."

The carrying case alone is worth the price of admission. Well constructed, lots of pockets and even has a shoulder strap.

Construction of lights feels sturdy. Was able to support light both on a light-weight Lowel stand I had sitting around. Of course, felt more secure on a more robust light stand.

No perceptible greenish tinge. Just did a very simple set up of 2 lights and white balanced. EX-3 showed 5400K. Taped a 1/2CTO over one of the lights (I only seem to have one sheet) and color balanced again using only this light, showing 3100K.

I like the combination of the dimmers and the bank control.

Will obviously be conducting more extensive testing and hopefully will be able to put up against a Litepanels 1x1.

Initial impression is that this light was well worth the wait and represents tremendous value for the money.

Ned
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #58
Major Player

Thanks for your initial thoughts Ned. I'll be interested to hear how they perform for you out in the field and what you'd change too. That's how we get better.
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #59
Major Player

Tekkeon pin outs to create custom cable from Tekkeon 3450 to XLR--

Buy Tekkeon cable or use the small coiled cable which came with your unit. Tekkeon offers a longer, uncoiled cable for $7.95.

Cut off the 2-pole tip jack.

Red wire= +
White wire= -
Black wire= control

Solder Red to + of the 4 pin XLR female (I think + is pin 1 of the XLR but confirm that)
Solder White and Black to - pin of the XLR female (pin 2 I believe).

Pins 3&4 of XLR are not used.

I'll have my Tekkeon cable by the end of the week and will have a cable made (I'm sloppy with a soldering iron) and will report afterwards.

Ned Soltz
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
Tekkeon pin outs to create custom cable from Tekkeon 3450 to XLR--

Buy Tekkeon cable or use the small coiled cable which came with your unit. Tekkeon offers a longer, uncoiled cable for $7.95.

Cut off the 2-pole tip jack.

Red wire= +
White wire= -
Black wire= control

Solder Red to + of the 4 pin XLR female (I think + is pin 1 of the XLR but confirm that)
Solder White and Black to - pin of the XLR female (pin 2 I believe).

Pins 3&4 of XLR are not used.

I'll have my Tekkeon cable by the end of the week and will have a cable made (I'm sloppy with a soldering iron) and will report afterwards.

Ned Soltz
Very important: On our fixture, pin 1 is ground or DC - and pin 4 is DC +. Pins 2 and 3 unused.
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management