New Coollights LED600 Arrived Today - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #76
Major Player

Received the Tekkeon cable and successfully made a Tekkeon to XLR-4 plug. Powers the 600 without a problem.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #77
Major Player

So do you get about an hour like we thought?
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #78
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
Hi Richard
I've just collected my LED600 from UK customs. USPS got it here very quickly and it's been with customs for 5 days. Not so bad.
It looks good but I can't try it out because it doesn't have a UK plug or an adaptor. It looks like a US plug except it's got three pins and I haven't seen that before.
I found a travel adaptor but that doesn't work.
I was really looking forward to trying it out.
Please let me know what I should do.
I am rubbish with anything electrical so don't ask me to do anything too complicated.
The third pin is Ground. You really need a 3 prong american to UK plug adapter to do it correctly. You could also probably temporarily steal the power cord from your PC long enough to try them out as we use the IEC standard on our power supply--same one as used in desktop PCs around the world and on all our other fixtures too. This would tide you over till you can find a US to UK plug adapter that works with our 3 prong standard American plug.
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
So do you get about an hour like we thought?
Haven't timed it yet. But it's on the list of things to test.

Ned
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
You could also probably temporarily steal the power cord from your PC
Thanks, that does the job and it's now working. As everyone else has said the light seems well-built, robust and powerful and the bag is excellent. I like the way the LEDs are protected by the barn doors in transit. Can't wait to try it out for real.
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #81
Trustee

I think I might have gotten a pair of the first regular shipping units last week.

They arrived a couple of days before I had a 4 day on-site corporate gig that included stuff like the traditional "cocktail party interviews of key associates" stuff.

Some sample stills pulled from the video are attached.

I ordered two of the spot units in 3200k. This is because a LOT of my big retail clients are re-lamping their stores to save on energy costs and they seem to be going to high efficiency modern overhead fluorescent lighting which seem to read out at about 3100k.

I told Daniel, my DP to take one of the new the LED 600s out and use it in place of an on-camera light to see what it could do.

Understand that he had about 3 minutes experience before going out - which consisted mostly of me showing him where the main switch and dimmer control was. He ran the unit off a Sony V-mount battery which easily lasted the whole shoot.

So the crew was Linda interviewing, Daniel shooting, and Chris who was primarily responsible for audio - but who ended up schlepping the light as well. We used a lightweight standard Arri kit stand since the unit isn't heavy. They reported that having a non-tethered lightweight light was a JOY.

Like most of these gigs, the sun was going down so both the intensity and color temperature was constantly shifting.

The first still grab is early with the 600 providing modest front fill and successfully fighting the late afternoon skylight behind her. The woman is VERY fair.

The next two frame grabs are later and later as the sun goes down. Chris kept cranking the intensity down (you can easily see the background level drop) and as promised the color temp hardly shifted as we dimmed the unit. (both guys were far less fair skinned than the first lady - so don't mistake the skin tones for the lighting. You're looking at pretty accurate pictures)

I'm a happy owner. Perfectly Portable. Well Built. Reasonably priced. Super convenient.

Yeah, and Richard's included soft cases are very cool - but I STILL think I'm maybe going to investigate a Pelican case that can can fit multiple heads, stands and accessories in something that's back of production truck friendly.

FWIW

Link to the frame grabs: http://www.gallery.me.com/davisbill#100037

Last edited by Bill Davis; March 1st, 2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Repaired URL - or tried at least
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #82
Major Player

HI, Bill!!!

Your MobileMe link doesn't work. Actually ends up taking me to a gallery on my own me.com account!

Ned
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #83
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
...Link to the frame grabs: MobileMe
Now that's sumthin' - your service provider doesn't support internet explorer. And here I thought I was all cool n' stuff.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #84
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
Hi Richard
I've just collected my LED600 from UK customs. USPS got it here very quickly and it's been with customs for 5 days. Not so bad.
It looks good but I can't try it out because it doesn't have a UK plug or an adaptor. It looks like a US plug except it's got three pins and I haven't seen that before.
I found a travel adaptor but that doesn't work.
I was really looking forward to trying it out.
Please let me know what I should do.
I am rubbish with anything electrical so don't ask me to do anything too complicated.
I just received mine from Richard too. I just cut the US plug out .. and replace it with a UK style 3 pin plug. Singapore is a former colony of UK - so you know :-). 2 minutes job. No sweat. The colour codes - green wire - earth, white - neutral, black - live.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #85
Major Player

One thing I would like to see is how well the 3200K version plays with other real 3200K tungsten lighting. I haven't had a chance to try that yet. The 3200K LEDs actually have a bit higher CRI so my theory is they should actually mix well with real tungsten.
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:30 AM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
The colour codes - green wire - earth, white - neutral, black - live.
Thanks TingSern. I've got lots of old computer power cables so I used one of those. Useful to know what the colour code is though. Maybe Richard W might want to include this with the light to save idiots like me from electrocuting themselves.
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:35 AM   #87
Major Player

Its really impossible for us at this point to stock all the power cords or adapters for all the different types in the world. Thats why its far better to get that locally in your own country. A US to UK should be commonly available, no reason to do any wiring at all.
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Its really impossible for us at this point to stock all the power cords or adapters for all the different types in the world. Thats why its far better to get that locally in your own country. A US to UK should be commonly available, no reason to do any wiring at all.
The computer power cord seems like the best solution to me. The trouble with adaptors is that they tend to get left in the plug socket.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM   #89
Trustee

Sorry guys. Post convention shoot brain deadness.

I revisited the above URL and trimmed the stuff that cut and paste added. Should work now.

(fingers crossed)

And Hi Ned!
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM   #90
Major Player

Link works now. Very nice work Bill. Glad we could help out on that and similar future shoots.
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management