DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 8th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Ikan 150 LED lights

anyone tested those? They seem to be well build and the price is good for the power, would like to buy them but want to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Tourist

LED lights

You might look at the MicroBeam from FloLight - Fluorescent & LED Video Lighting I just got the LED 500 and LED 1000 that they sell and am quite impressed with the power, features and manufacturing for the money. They also have 3 different on-camera lights. One of the camera lights is going to be my next purchase. They have trouble keeping them in stock. We will probably order several more of the LED 500 and 1000. The prices are pretty amazing for LED lights. I've got a couple of the Ikan LCD 7" monitors but have not tried the LED 150 light.
Robert Piekarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Ikan and well built are usually not two things I would use together. I have one of their new monitors (told myself never again after the last things that I ordered from them) and it's a $900 disappointment. So if there are other alternatives out there I would look at them closely.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Lucas:

Are you looking for an on-camera light or a light that can be used on stands with greater output?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm looking strictly for on-camera light. I do weddings and I use my lights during the reception (and in some dark churches). Currently I have 50W halogen but it's a huuuuge battery hogger. Also other requirement is possibility to plug external 12V battery.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Major Player

I'll give you advice you might not want to hear-- spend the money and get a Zylight Z90.

Believe me-- I've been testing and reviewing LED lights and own several from assorted vendors as well. The Z90 is phenomenal. Even its smaller sibling the Z50 would do the job. With features ranging from selectable daylight/tungsten, dial in color temps, and color gels not to mention the bluetooth features, there is simply nothing that can touch it in an on camera LED light.

Light Panels Micro Pro is well built and puts out good light. I'm a little disappointed in the Micro. I've just beaten mine to death and I haven't even used it all that hard. It's held together with gaffer's tape after 2 years.

On the inexpensive end of the spectrum (no pun intended), I'm impressed with the Alzo Video $99 light that charges via USB. Remember that less expensive LED's will definitely have a green spike and you may need color correction gels.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
I'll give you advice you might not want to hear-- spend the money and get a Zylight Z90.

Believe me-- I've been testing and reviewing LED lights and own several from assorted vendors as well. The Z90 is phenomenal. Even its smaller sibling the Z50 would do the job. With features ranging from selectable daylight/tungsten, dial in color temps, and color gels not to mention the bluetooth features, there is simply nothing that can touch it in an on camera LED light.
I was expecting to hear about Zylight sooner or later :-) If not the price I would be all over it. It's a no-brainer decision. Maybe I'll be able to find a used Z50...
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Major Player

I did some LED reviews a few years ago, but as to the previous post as well, the ZyLight Z90, while not the cheapest option out there, was (and still is) an incredibly built, very versitle, solid performer. The light ouput is great and the color variations are wonderful. I have three of them and since I can control all of them from one light, that, to me, was a huge advantage.

The Comer's are nice, the LBP's from Sony are fine, LitePanels, Ikan, FloLight, Coollights...and the billion others, most all of them are just rebranded Chinese model knock-offs. :)
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Sponsor: iKan Corp.

Monitor Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
Ikan and well built are usually not two things I would use together. I have one of their new monitors (told myself never again after the last things that I ordered from them) and it's a $900 disappointment. So if there are other alternatives out there I would look at them closely.
I'm sorry you've had an issue with a product. Please contact me directly at 713-272-8822, and I will help you resolve what ever issue you're having.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
anyone tested those? They seem to be well build and the price is good for the power, would like to buy them but want to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Hey Lukas!

We can actually send you one just to test out, see if you like it or not. If you like it, you can buy it at a discounted price. If not, just send it back, no cost and no hard feelings. Let me know!
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Major Player

Thx Sheman. Ill send you my info via PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #12

Sent it out today, Lukas!
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Major Player

Thx :-)

I'll let you all know how the light performs.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Major Player

Just want to let you guys know that the light came in today via UPS. Nicely packed and full of accessories (to my surprise).

First impressions:
1) light is big - almost as big as original lightpanels (just more square then rectangular)
2) nice quality finish - it's not metal or aluminum but plastics. Still everything feels solid and "thick".
3) comes with NP-F970 battery and charger and power supply.
4) comes in nice and rugged-feel case which holds all accessories and light.
5) light output if pretty good (still have to charge the battery and do proper tests) - nice, wide spread.

no some iffy things:
6) filters come without any case - they have their own pocket in the kit case but still would be better to keep them in separate case for their protection.
7) you have to be careful with filters - CF's are plastic but diffuser is veeeeery thin and delicate. That's why that extra case for filters would be very useful. Once installed, the filters are not an issue - stay in slot tight.
8) big Sony battery mounted with the light on top of the camera makes it very front heavy. I'd rather place it somewhere else to balance it better. Ikan has special plates for that already.

For now that's it :-) I'll post some pics/vids once I use it more.
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Sponsor: MicroSearch, iKan

ikan lights

We kept improve our products all the time. Appreciated your comment. We are going to introduce a new version to allow your choice of battery, Canon, Panasonic or Sony.

Kan Yeung
CEO of ikan
Kan Yeung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management