LED vs FLO kit / Coollights vs FloLight - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Wow awesome Richard, and where is it going to be available that new panel?
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Hopefully by end of summer if all goes as planned. Final pricing isn't done yet so I can't announce that yet.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

1200 led

I'd also be interested in knowing when it comes out, Richard. Please put me on your notification list, if I'm not already there. Thanks.

--Greg
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The ESPN's one hour show "Gruden QB Camp", plus the many smaller segments that have been running everyday throughout the ESPN network for the last week in preparation for the NFL Draft, were entirely done with 6 Cool Lights (3 600 and 3 256), hung from a drop ceiling.

Those shows consisted of several five hour long sessions in a small room with only an 8 foot ceiling and in an older building with questionable electric system. The Cool Lights turned out to be a life saver.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Nino, glad we could help out. We're being discovered by all kinds of pro and broadcast entities right now. More good things to come.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #21
Major Player

I have to say that I'm interested in the 1200 as well! I'm looking at purchasing some of the 256 spots in the near future (June?) and also am interested in the 600... but they appear to have been out of stock for a while...

Now, I like the LED's for their battery powered goodness. Will the 1200 be so charmed?
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM   #22
Major Player

The LED 1200 will have battery capability as well but we'll do it a bit differently and put the battery regulation circuitry and interfaces in a separate and optional box. This is mainly for weight and heat management issues as the LED 1200 will be a very lightweight fixture and we want to keep it that way as simple as possible. The LED 1200 will come with a normal AC to DC power supply like the LED 600 does but the battery interfaces will be a separate option/separate box. The regulator for the battery will be the hottest item no doubt so keeping it in a separate box that you can hang on the light stand (like our power supply) will keep a lot of the heat out of the fixture and the LED 1200 is about the point where we need to start thinking about that (LED 1200 draw around 100w). It will have places for a couple of AB or Vlock batteries (also optionally) or input from an external battery through 4 pin XLR. So you'll have your AC to DC power supply that comes with the unit and an optional DC to DC one as well with the LED 1200. No need to take the DC one along with you on a job if you don't need to use your battery. You can just bring the AC one. Or bring both. We'll have a carrying case of course for all this.

The LED 600 has been out of stock for a bit under a month and will be back in by end of May.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Awesome thanks for the update Richard!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
The LED 1200 will have battery capability as well but we'll do it a bit differently and put the battery regulation circuitry and interfaces in a separate and optional box. This is mainly for weight and heat management issues as the LED 1200 will be a very lightweight fixture and we want to keep it that way as simple as possible. The LED 1200 will come with a normal AC to DC power supply like the LED 600 does but the battery interfaces will be a separate option/separate box. The regulator for the battery will be the hottest item no doubt so keeping it in a separate box that you can hang on the light stand (like our power supply) will keep a lot of the heat out of the fixture and the LED 1200 is about the point where we need to start thinking about that (LED 1200 draw around 100w). It will have places for a couple of AB or Vlock batteries (also optionally) or input from an external battery through 4 pin XLR. So you'll have your AC to DC power supply that comes with the unit and an optional DC to DC one as well with the LED 1200. No need to take the DC one along with you on a job if you don't need to use your battery. You can just bring the AC one. Or bring both. We'll have a carrying case of course for all this.

The LED 600 has been out of stock for a bit under a month and will be back in by end of May.
Richard the 1200 sounds great.
So with the battery box being separate, it should be easier to run a remote control type device like we talked about a while ago, to power the unit on/off?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM   #25
Major Player

Hi Michael,

For various reasons, the bank select switches and dimmer are in the fixture itself. This is mainly to keep the power supply cable going to the head as simple as possible with only 2 conductors. Otherwise, if you had dimmer and bank selects in an external box then you have to run many more wires. So the external box is just for battery interface or power supply but nothing to do with dimming.

On the subject of wireless, I wouldn't include that or dmx in a product until I have found a good and reliable subsystem for those functions. The ones I've tested so far don't give consistent results so just aren't ready for prime time so to speak, but we will certainly do it at some point.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM   #26
Trustee

Richard, I was talking about using a wireless remote to simply control the lights power on/off and not dimming. Although dimming woudl be great.

It sounds like the power supply setup will work with a simple wireless remote controlling the power current to the light. It would sit between the power source and light.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:51 AM   #27
Major Player

Right, if you just wanted a remote on/off capability I'm sure there are ways to do that. What I meant to say is that If we did some remote control as part of the product, we'd probably have to do dimming because that's the expectation of most that want some kind of remote control. We're just not quite there yet though.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Richard, I've sent an email to you recently but you did not answer yet, you must be pretty busy.

As soon as you have some time, could you come back to me please? Thanks :)
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #29
Major Player

Already sent. Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #30
Regular Crew

So my 3 LEDs are on their way, can't wait to test them!

Thanks for the awesome customer support Richard.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management