DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Second Generation Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Light

We have the new Comer 1800b Second Generation model LED light. Now it equipped with a dedicated ON/OFF switch. You can keep the dimmer settings the same way after turning the on and off. It still delivers the same high power 1800lux output in the unique 4500K color temperature.

Also, all Comer 1800 lights has been shipped with the new metal shoe.

You can order the Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Light with 1 year warranty service here at L.A. Color Shop.

Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Shop
Attached Thumbnails
Second Generation Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Light-1800b1.jpg   Second Generation Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Light-1800b2.jpg  

Second Generation Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Light-1800b3.jpg  
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Major Player

4500k...? Why on earth...?
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

4500K is actually a very smart choice. All other LED lights out there making 5600K to 5800K. That's complete day light color balance. I don't recall much time I need to use light during the day outdoor. We mostly need light at night or indoor. 4500K makes it a good balance to be used indoor and outdoor.

Some also worry the 4500K won't mix well with indoor light fixture. It's never been an issue for me. Check out this video shoot indoor with Comer 4500K color temp.

LA Color - Wedding Photography and Videography serving Great Los Angeles Areas

Comer light comes with the tungsten filter that can lower the color temp to 3200K. I personally don't use it. When I shoot weddings, I found 4500K makes the skin tone on the bride neutral white. The wedding gown looks white, not orange or blue.

For other LED lights with 5600K color temp, you will always need to use an orange gel to make the light to be used indoor. That will lower the overall brightness.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Also some reviews from other users of Comer 4500K color temperature

How to Edit DSLR Footage in Premiere Pro CS4 | L.A. Color Blog
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

About weight and size

I am using a Canon XHA1s. That light looks a bit heavy, especially with a battery attached. Is there another solution for power? I also use a shoulder rig, Varizoom Media Rig, Maybe I can attach a battery to it somehow. Even still, with a monitor and microphone attached I would like to give it a try.
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm using XH-A1 too. You can consider using the NP-f770 battery instead of the F970 battery. That will reduce the size and weight. Or, check if your shoulder battery if it has a D-tap connector. If so, you can power the light with your attached battery.

Or you can power the light using this BP-U65 battery. Then just velcro or cable tie the battery to your tripod. It can power the light to 5 or 6 hrs.

Sony Compatible BP-U65 Battery for Sony EX1/EX3 | L.A. Color Shop
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

is it possible to power two items from one battery D tap? Like lcd monitor and light?
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
4500K is actually a very smart choice. All other LED lights out there making 5600K to 5800K. That's complete day light color balance. I don't recall much time I need to use light during the day outdoor. We mostly need light at night or indoor. 4500K makes it a good balance to be used indoor and outdoor.

Some also worry the 4500K won't mix well with indoor light fixture. It's never been an issue for me. Check out this video shoot indoor with Comer 4500K color temp.

LA Color - Wedding Photography and Videography serving Great Los Angeles Areas

Comer light comes with the tungsten filter that can lower the color temp to 3200K. I personally don't use it. When I shoot weddings, I found 4500K makes the skin tone on the bride neutral white. The wedding gown looks white, not orange or blue.

For other LED lights with 5600K color temp, you will always need to use an orange gel to make the light to be used indoor. That will lower the overall brightness.

That seems to be muddled thinking to me. All light sources I use are 5600K both indoor (fluro or HMI) and outdoor (sun) and yes I do use on camera lighting outdoors. Your video looks wrong, you've got a blue light shining on the subject and orange light elsewhere, your camera is not white balanced to either or maybe it's in AWB as it seems to shift around.
So from what you're saying is if I do have to match tungsten I need to use the supplied filter and to match daylight I have to find the appropriate filter myself and find some way to stick it onto the light. Thankfully 4500K is not visually that far off 5600K so at a pinch I guess I can live with a slightly warm light but why should I have to. Sorry but if this was a conscious design decision it's wrong, introducing a third color temperature into the mix we have to cope with is not a good move.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Just like your 5600K light when you use it indoor, you need to add the orange filter, Comer light has the orange filter you can put it down. If you don't like 4500K, then use it. It's just the fact that adding gel will reduce the brightness.

There's no right or wrong. It's my personal taste I love the 4500K. I don't need to gel it. Keep it the max brightness I need.

If you do a lot of outdoor work, all other LED lights out there in the market will be more suitable for you. But few years ago before LED lights are around, all you can get is tungsten on camera light.

4500K is still a great move. There're other LED light products out there offering this color temp. Even my LP micro gives me a full CTO and a 1/4 CTO. There are not only two color temperatures in the world.
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
There are not only two color temperatures in the world.
I'm well aware of that but I don't believe that it's a good thing to design a light that doesn't have a CT that's the same as the most common two. To put it another way I wouldn't promote it as a feature. There might be good engineering reasons why it came out at 4500K but I cannot see starting out with that as a goal to be a good idea.
I do have an 1800 (sorry bought locally due to freight costs) and I'm very happy with it. In fact I think I'll soon buy another. I can live with it being 4500K, I always WB for the coolest light source, that way anything else is warm and that's more acceptable than having a blue caste.
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
That seems to be muddled thinking to me...
Perhaps it's more muddled justification then muddled thinking.

I agree that the odd color temperature is unsuitable for indoor shooting, specially where there are other 3200K lighting sources. You might find yourself the guest of honor at a lynching party.

But on the flip side... given the premium on 3200K and 5500K LED emitters... using the off-color emitters may put more change in his pocket and his explanation might ring true to the demographic he is selling to.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

... and as was pointed out, you can always gel it.

Last edited by Mark Wheeler; August 20th, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Inner Circle

If you don't like using 4500K indoor, you can always use the orange filter which is just a simple flip down on the light itself. It's just like all other LED light using 5600K. If you shoot it indoor, use the warming filter. To me, I love this 4500K output on brides at wedding. Love the gown being white, not too blue, not too orange. If you don't agree, then don't use it. use the orange filter. :)
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
If you don't like using 4500K indoor, you can always use the orange filter which is just a simple flip down on the light itself. It's just like all other LED light using 5600K. If you shoot it indoor, use the warming filter. To me, I love this 4500K output on brides at wedding. Love the gown being white, not too blue, not too orange. If you don't agree, then don't use it. use the orange filter. :)
You're missing the point or maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.
My " indoor" is lit 5600K, not a tungsten light anywhere. If I put a 4500K light on a brides dress it will be orange, not blue, as I've white balanced my camera to the primary light sources in the room and they are 5400K to 6000K. So no, it is not like all other LED light using 5600K, indoor they match all the other lights in the room. To make the 1800 correct indoor I need to add a BLUE filter not orange.
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #14
Inner Circle

If in your controlled environment all your "indoor" lighting fixture are 5600K, then Comer 4500K is not a good choice for you. When I do weddings. all indoor hotel reception ball room, all tungsten. I do have customers calling to recommend a light to be used outdoor. I wouldn't recommend Comer either.

I will certainly let Comer know to manufacture some CTB to replaced the CTO easily with 2 screws.
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'm using XH-A1 too. You can consider using the NP-f770 battery instead of the F970 battery. That will reduce the size and weight. Or, check if your shoulder battery if it has a D-tap connector. If so, you can power the light with your attached battery.

Or you can power the light using this BP-U65 battery. Then just velcro or cable tie the battery to your tripod. It can power the light to 5 or 6 hrs.

Sony Compatible BP-U65 Battery for Sony EX1/EX3 | L.A. Color Shop
The BP U65 battery looks like a good idea. But it turned a $400 light into a $600 light. I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow. It's time for beer!
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management