DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Manfrotto 083NW 2-Section Wind-up Stand - 8'

Has anyone been up close and personal with one of these?

While the AU$ is not moribund against the US$, bhphoto have a good comparative price on them compared to the extortion being visited by AU vendors.

I have ended up with a 12K HMI which is story I won't go into except that my own incompence features significantly. I had the impression it was physically much smaller until I had to unpack it at Fremantle and shove it into a Commodore wagon.

The only stands I have will bend over like a melted candle if I put this thing on them.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Bob,
I can't say that I've had any experience with the winchups but we have some pretty hefty Manfrotto stands in the shop. They do seem to do what the specs say they will however I get pretty nervous as the load gets close to the rated limit with them fully extended. If you want to feel safe I'd suggest buying something rated to quite a bit more than the load you intend to use them for especially if going up high.

I'd also suggest checking eBay, there's someone in Qld selling off a bit of hefty lighting equipment including a winchup stand from memory. Might save you a fair amount on freight.

Now one day I'd love to see a video of you trying to get that 12K into the car. How are you going to power that beast and how are you going to afford the lamps.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Bob.

Thanks for that. I'll have another look. The eBay search function is sometimes a little enigmatic and has not shown anything for a while on my searches.

The 12K apparently represents about 1/3rd of the population of this type of light over here. It is a bit of a Queen-Anne collar in that the limited production over here may not be able to afford to rent it and instead go for an area lighting trailer and bluegel that. Those work adequately albeit parkland grass looks very green at night and everything gets lit.

Getting it into the car was "interesting". Fortunately I found if I laid it on its back it just eased in. I was rather nervous about putting the brakes on suddenly travelling back, especially as the brake caliper piston on the right front wheel decided to seize. It was not an auspicious day.

The following day, the brakes returned to normal and lasted another three months before I elected to replace the caliper units. A fine flake of road stone had got by the rubber shroud and in between the piston and bore and must have eventually worn down enough for it to work again. There were marks which suggested something bigger had gone through and dropped free. I've seen the same thing with a larger piece of stone break the caliper of a DHC Twin Otter aircraft completely apart.

Getting the lamp out was "more interesting". It is not so much heavy as awkard on one's own and it wanted to kick up into the roofspace. That's when sack trolleys are really handy as slip ramps.

Powering it is also the conundrum you suggest. AU$5,000 for a transformer from 440VAC to 240VAC or AU$6000 to AU$7,000 for a chinese Sunton generator 20kva . It wants up to 100amps on startup and less when it settles.
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Tried to find the listing for you but everything from the vendor seems to have gone. He had a couple of old Strand HMIs etc, etc. Local pickup only. Maybe someone made him a good offer for the lot and he took it. Most of his kit had zero bids. He said he was getting out of the business so I can understand him taking an offer for quick cash.
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for your efforts Bob.

A DoP ( he reminded me to use the Australian abbreviation ) has suggested to me that I should disobey my cheap instincts and go for Desisti's own longer 16ft stand at bhphoto instead of the 8ft as in his experiences, they were often trying to find as much height as they could for 12K lights.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm no expert however when you originally said 8' I had the same thought as that's not much above head height. Does seem to me that those big lights oftenly end up on cherry pickers or construction cranes. I can see you getting very fit winching it up and down to change positioning etc. With a cherry picker you can ride up to height with it, do all the adjustments and then come down to get off and just send it back up.
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Can't be too much different to crank-starting an old Toyota Landcruiser or pulling a boat up a trailer. Both type of stand can be fitted with wheels like hospital castors with brakes.

The idea of one one of those things catching some wind and coming over onto my dome is a bit scary. I shall investigate guy-wires. I have not seen them published anywhere. ( Desisticide? - untimely end at the glassy end of a 12K lamp on its way down??? It's late and I need sleep.).
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management