Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: On camera lighting for wedding

Hi Jay

I have both lights and a Rode on the camera too!!!

First of all toss out the bracket under the light..it's way too flimsy ...I have a mini-ball head bolted onto my light that has a cold shoe bracket under it.

My HMC's have two cold shoes so if you only have one you will have to organise a side bracket...plentiful on eBay!!! Way better than a "Y" adapter!! Just put the light central and the Rode out to the right!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:26 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Don't get the CN126 or CN160 light. IMO, they are just weak products for the job. If you are in a tight budget, consider the HDV-Z96. It has better built than the CN126 or CN160. No green spike. oh also read this.

Otherwise, Comer 1800 is a good solid choice especially if you are using Sony EX1/EX3. We are selling a Comer brand battery for EX1/EX3 that has an extra D-tap connector so you can power the Comer light and the EX1/EX3 with just one battery.

Sony Compatible BP-U65 Battery for Sony EX1/EX3 | L.A. Color Online

I myself use the Comer 1800 light at weddings. It works especially well at first dance, cake cutting... etc with the Condenser lens that creates an instant spotlight.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Taky

I used the 126 for a whole wedding season and the CN-160 for the current season..no green issues whatsoever and the image quality is great!!! The only bad points IMHO is the mounting arms on both !! They are "wobbly" and I felt they would have broken easily..I replaced both with a mini ball head and have had no issues.

Maybe the WB on your cams cannot handle the green content but the HMC Panasonics don't show any issue at all.

For the price I still feel it's a great light..then again if you can afford a Comer then grab one!!!

Chris
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I don't use that light myself but a lot of people complained about the warming filter cause a green spike in the video.

Chris, do you mind take a picture to show how you fix the arm? it would be very helpful. Thanks
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Taky

I have attached a pic...just a quick explanation ..I also added an aluminium plate to push the light forward from my centre cold shoe and my Rode mic is on the second cold shoe and the light was bumping the suspension mount!!! Normally all you need is a mini-ball head with the cold shoe bracket underneath.

It's really solid now with no wobbles at all!!!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
On camera lighting for wedding-mounting.jpg  
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I was an idiot and paid all that money ($299) for the Litepanels LP MICRO and used it for a year, complaining each time, until finally going on YouTube and doing a search for LED's and found these videos.

HDV-Z96 vs LP Micro Pro LED Light Comparison - YouTube

HDV-Z96 DSLR led video light - YouTube

The first video sold me right away and the second video got me excited about buying one. I got my (new) Z96 on ebay for $68. Absolute best on-camera LED on the market and I even use my on light stands as hair or fill lights during full lit interviews. Very bright and fills the entire frame with light, unlike the LP MICRO.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management