DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 31st, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Shooting under black lights

Our church as a puppet team that preforms with black lights. The video looks terrible. How can I set up my Canon GL2 where it will video in this enviroment? Shound I buy any extra equipment?
Barry Edmundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shooting under black lights

Consider that if they're the old tube-style black lights, they're probably flickering on and off 120 times a second. You're probably locked to shooting at 1/60th of a sec shutter speed -- anything else will give a noticeable flickering or strobing as the camera shutter moves in and out of phase with the flicker.

You said the video "looks terrible." HOW does it look terrible? We need to know the symptoms before we can suggest a cure.

IF it's the shutter-speed issue I suggested, staying at some multiple of 1/30th of a second should take care of the issue. If that isn't possible, then I'd suggest either converting the blacklight fixtures to a solid-state ballast ( which USUALLY runs at a higher frequency "flicker" rate than the old magnetic ballasts), or try converting to the compact florescent blacklight corkscrew bulbs.

Martin
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Shooting under black lights

Black lighting eh, is it necessary for the show?

Wonder how the audiences like that, maybe suggest a performance for just for you with 'normal' lighting. You could try 'blackening it' in post,
but work on that effect first.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management