DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Lishuai LED1000 Bi-Colour Panel

Had a really good look at these on the ProAV stand at BVE (Broadcast Video Expo) in London's Excel yesterday.

I think I'll be ordering one in the next few days. I liked the feature set (especially the ability to dial in Kelvin/dim as desired using the touch screen on the back panel). Light output seemed very good in both quality and brightness, as does the price - but I'm no expert of LED lighting!

Lishuai LED1000ASVLK Bi-Colour LED Panel With Carry Case

Just wondering if anyone's got one of these Lishuai panels (or the smaller 500 model perhaps) and can comment on how they are finding them in day-to-day use?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Lishuai LED1000 Bi-Colour Panel

I may be wrong but I think these are the same as the "Fotodiox" brand and there's a review of the smaller one here

Regards
David
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi David, thanks for that.

The one in the video actually looks VERY similar to the smaller versions ProAV have/I also viewed on their stand at BVE last week. Those ones use Sony type batteries (2 are supplied with the units and give about 3 hours illumination if needed) and not the V Lock type battery that the LED1000 needs for remote use - not supplied. I agonised over this for a while as I don't currently have any V lock batteries or charger - and these are not that cheap. But 95% of what I do is within range of 240V power. If I "get on" with LED I might buy one of those units and/or V Lock power options as well in the near future...

As it happens I ordered the LED1000 yesterday lunchtime from ProAV and paid just £4.50 for freight (cheapest option) as I was in no particular rush for the light and so did not need next day delivery etc. (my next shoots are not until until next week - editing at the moment). Anyway, it arrived at about 10.00AM this morning regardless!!!! Unpacked it and all is good.

The stand is similar to the Arri light stands I have and it seems good and sturdy - and it'll go up to a very decent height (I'm 6ft and it's well above head height).

The LED panel took 2 minutes to put up and then power up (don't forget to remove the "protective clingfilm type stuff" over the actual LED panel). Dead easy to use and all looks sturdy too. Output seems excellent (at full whack, even when only half the LEDs are lit, e.g. when at one of the Kelvin extremes) and of course is easily configured for any colour temp (100K steps) and brightness using the touch screen digital panel on the back.

About the only thing I thought was missing was some way to strap the power brick to the stand pole (when the panel is at a high position) as that way it would stop the weight of it dragging down on the XLR power plug in the LED back panel's socket. Thinking I'd go and get some spare velcro to do that, I then noticed that they have provided a couple of suitable straps in the bag for just this purpose. I then noticed 2 spare fuses are also supplied too. These could be easily swapped out if I ever needed since the fuse holder access is next to the power button. Nice to know someone thought of these little things!

Mind you, regarding the power lead, I'd suggest that the best solution would be for the cable on the "LED panel side" of the power brick (the 12V side) to be about a 1 to 1.5 M longer. Simple. That way, the brick could just sit on the floor - even at full stand height position - something for the next production batch maybe??? (if anyone at ProAV is listening...).

Both items come in a reasonable cases (the one for the panel is a bit like a super-sized laptop bag).

As soon as I'd finished testing I could pack it all away in a couple of minutes which reminded me why I'd just spent £495 + VAT on this baby (plus that modest UPS courier charge). I love my Riffa 55 and the light that softbox has given me for the last few years - but it gets so blummin hot and takes a good hour to cool down before you can safely pack it away. Which at times is very awkward (client needs his conference room back etc.). That one's still going to be king when I need a highly portable, good light that packs away into a very small package for airline travel etc. as its packed up size is still way smaller than this LED1000. However, for local and mainland UK stuff, I may now look into a 3-way fluorescent bulb attachment for the Riffa (so that it can also now also become a cold operating/faster pack away light too).

Once I've used this LED panel a few times I'll report back again if I find any further good (or bad) points to share.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 5th, 2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: adding info
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Good info, thanks for all that. If you're able to post up any video - tests / review - that'd be superb, I'm toying with buying at least one largeish LED myself and all info is very welcome...

Cheers
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Doubt I'd ever find the time to do a review video - besides I'm not as photogenic as the glamorous lady that presents the video above!
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Re: Lishuai LED1024 Bi-Colour Panel (Newer Version)

Just to update this thread. I've had the above LED panel for 2 years now and it's been great.

Decided to buy another one and spoke to ProAV yesterday who informed me they still sell it - but also do an updated model - so I went for that. Link below to this Lishuai LED1024 ASVLK Bi-Colour.

Lishuai LED-1024ASVLK Bi-Colour LED Panel With Carry Case - LED Panels & Kits - Lighting - Lighting & Chromakey

Well, it arrived this morning - it certainly has a MUCH better, fully padded case and I really like the U-shaped bracket that supports the panel (used to attach it to the supplied stand which also comes with it's bag). This makes the light much quicker to assemble/break down than the original which needed a bracket slotting into it's base - one more step and which was sometimes a bit awkward.

Output seems identical to the original. I'll be using (both) on a shoot in 10 days time and will visit the ProAV stand at BVE next week to thank them for another great LED product!
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Major Player

You could also look at this very similar unit: New LED1024 Daylight Light dimmable 5600K touch LCD screen V mount /Golden mount | eBay
Email Kinosun (I've always dealt with a lady called Iris) direct if you want further discounts on shipping etc.
Old March 4th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Trustee

The links are 404 ;-(
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Just checked - The main ProAV website appears to be down at the moment. Hope they have not gone out of business!

EDIT: Website seems back up now, phew!

Original 1000 light link is here: http://www.proav.co.uk/lighting-chro...uch-screen-lcd

The newer 1024 light link is here: http://www.proav.co.uk/lighting-chro...ith-carry-case

Also, if anyone thinking of buying any LED lights should study this - the Lishuai lights have not yet been tested but it is a VERY interesting read:

News Shooter | BVE 2015: How accurate are your LED lights? Ex-BBC expert Alan Roberts has the surprising answers

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 5th, 2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Updating link information
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management