Dedolight, Ledzilla and DLED Q's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 14th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #1
Trustee

Dedolight, Ledzilla and DLED Q's

Anyone here running the Ledzilla style lights? I am interested in either the BiColor Ledzilla2 or the DLED which puts out like 25watts vs 10 for the Ledzilla. While they seem to do well in spot, I am slightly afraid that their flood capability will leave me wanting. Also, not seeing any lux/fc specs for the Ledzilla2 BoiColor in 3200k mode.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as $800-1100 for a friggin light is a LOT of money!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Dedolight, Ledzilla and DLED Q's

One thing about light is wattage counts. But being able to concentrate the light output counts, too. Then there is always the weighing of the "bang for the buck" decision. For the ENG guy there is the need for portability.

Last December I picked up a used LEDZILLA first generation light and I'm really pleased with it for use as a hairlight which is what I got it for. The newer LEDZILLA2 was just coming out but weighing the somewhat urgent need for a hairlight I went for getting it now with the idea that if it worked out I'd get a second one. As it turned out, it works very nice. Would I like more light output? Who wouldn't? it'd be nice to have the 30% brighter light of the 2 version. With the work you do, if you go this route, I'd definitely recommend the 2 version.

If what you're looking for is something like this http://www.ledzilla.de/Ledzilla_deut...e_Technik.html, I found a *.pdf document in English that discussed this information that was really good but can't find the URL again. Have the document, but not where it came from.

For somewhat less information, try going this route, Start Page:
Dedo Weigert Film GmbH
Center (or right) column: Select LED Ledzilla > (Dedolight INDEX) select LED Lighting Fixtures > (right column) LEDZILLA 2 - On Board Light Head Mini LED [Note: the Bi Color is also in the list) > (in the page menu bar) PDF > (under the picture) DOWNLOAD

There are three Download pdf pages and the first one is this one:
http://www.dedoweigertfilm.de/assets...ghRes%2023.pdf

The LEDZILLA is a nice light and has it's place but if you're trying to fill the night sky with it or use it in flood mode as an option I think you'll be disappointed. As a spot or hair light with essentially no spill it's totally excellent. In any event, it's definitely a nice tool to have in the toolbox.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the reply!

I think I am more leaning towards a Bi DLED if I do go the Dedo route.

Dedo Weigert Film GmbH

I am currently using a rather large Neewer CN304 panel with a Lee 285 3/4 CTO, giving me 3200k no green/magenta hue bright light output. It looks like a movie screen on top of my tiny X70 camera,a nd I sort like the idea of the Ledzilla mount forward hang back, as I use a wide converter so I want the weight brought to the rear.

My comparison light will always be my 100 watt ID light, nothing can beat the superspot option, but on a handheld rig, I only zoom in sparingly.

Paul
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Here are the photometrics for the 100watt IDlight.

i-light & id-light

On flood, the DLED lists 9f/c at 3 meters, same as the IDlight, converts to 7f/c for the DLED in 3200k mode. It shows amazing spot performance, at around 1/2 the f/c at 3 meters as the 100 watt IDlight in superspot mode.

Paul
Old March 14th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Paul - found the product page that I was looking for, well ... almost, however, this one is in Deutsch while the one I found earlier is in English: http://www.marcotec-shop.com/en/prod...94_downloads.h
This is for the Ledzilla2 but the photometrics for the 20W one you're looking at would probably be in the ballpark. I'd be pretty sure there'd be something similar for the 20W. For your ENG work I think the 20W would be much better, especially if there are several people in the group you're interviewing because the light would have to be further away from the subject.

Besides the quality light, focusing, and compactness, there are a lot of accessories available and one can tailor it to the camera.

With the Euro right now it would be worthwhile to investigate buying directly from Europe. Several months ago when I was looking the prices from Germany and Great Britain were significantly lower than in the US. The good part is there wouldn't be any VAT but the bad part is the shipping can be a lot. One company I looked at would only ship air priority and it was something like €45 or so. If going this route maybe some of the European posters would have recommendations. Heck, eBay.de may work.

Edit: There was a thread last December that might be of interest: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-sing...light-kit.html There is a picture in post #2 of the spot using the Ledzilla (original). The 4º angle is pretty tight and has very little spill. At 10º as spec'd with the IDlight one would loose the "spot" capability and brightness pretty fast with any distance.

Edit #2: Just re-read the last sentence in post #4 about "1/2 the f/c at 3 meters". So that's the DLED that's less at 3 meters? If so, than the 20W vs 100W probably has a lot to do with it. Is this at the same beam angle? 100W will take a lot of battery power.

Last edited by John Nantz; March 14th, 2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add a link
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Trustee

I checked an ad on eBay.de, and it was $200 USD cheaper. Yay!

Regarding brightness, yes, the DLED shows at 1/2 the f/c. Not sure but Lowel seems to indicate the superspot is 10 degrees? But again, I am most interested in wide to medium use for this application. because it is a handheld camera, a separate battery is not a workable solution, although I have a 200 watt 30v kit and a spare IDLight with belt AB thingy.

The Neewer Cn304 works well for my live shots, but I find myself using the little camera a lot for entire VO's, so being able to spot a bit would be a great aid in my quest to not have to break out sticks and a horrible JVC HM790. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management