Budget LED lights - Best Options? (UK Based) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Budget LED lights - Best Options? (UK Based)

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to had some LED lights to my kit, but trying to figure out whats the best to get on a budget.

I'm hoping to get something that doesn't have any green cast or anything, which I know may be tricky on a budget but I thought I ask on here for advice.

Thanks, Matt
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Budget LED lights - Best Options? (UK Based)

Hi Matt

I use the on-camera lights that use the 6 or 8 PowerLED's rather than the ones with multi LED's and they work very well with no green cast and you can get them on eBay for under $100.00

Search eBay UK for "video light 5010A" and you should find them. They last me all night on one Sony battery which they supply as well!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just went through the same decision making process.

Here's what I learned and did.

With me, it's always a balance between what I want and what I can afford.

I do a fair amount of US network news work as well as high and lower end documentary and corporate work.

I learned that the key to knowing about that dreaded green cast is the CRI rating of a LED light head.

To have the most confidence of not getting the green cast at all...you want a light head with a CRI rating of 90 or above. Of course those rated lights are much more expensive than those with lower numbers.

The first LED lights which came out had a CRI rating of around 70 to 75.

Many of what people call the Chinese knock-offs had that rating. Less expensive but more inclined to have that green cast. A problem many overcome by gelling the lights with magenta.

Since then LED lights have gotten better and price reflects that.

You need to decide these things before you buy.

Do you want a "spot" LED (beam angel of 30 degrees) or "flood" (beam angle of 60 degrees)

Do you want 3200K lights? 5600K lights? or bi-color lights which let you dial between those two color temps.

Do you want a light that can run off of batteries or just plugged into a wall?

I just bought two of these LED light heads from Ikan and love them.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968572-REG/ikan_ifb576_a_ifb576_bi_color_led_light.html

They fit my budget.

Have a CRI of 87.

Bi-color and run off of my existing Anton Bauer batteries or plugged into a wall.

I also bought a Photoflex swivel mount for each of these light heads which make mounting them on my C-stands much nicer.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/138156-REG/Photoflex_AC_ALSWMTB_Heavy_Duty_Swivel_Mount.html

No LED will equal an HMI in punch. But this light head has made me happy on so many levels.

They seem well built but light. Great for travel and local transport.

Much lighter to mount on my stands and the quality of light has been great. I haven't noticed any real green cast with them...but, they are brand new. So, maybe with time, I'll see some issues.

I know for many it's still a lot of money to spend on lights but...I'm a firm believer in getting the best I can with the money I have...without being penny wise and pound foolish. "Saving" money only to find I should have spent just a little more to get something good...while knowing there will always be something "better" and more expensive.

Just sharing my thoughts here because I'm a pretty happy camper with these lights in my kit now!
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Matt

I really have great success using LED lights with PowerLED's rather than tons of tiny ones. They have a really even coverage and are under $100.00 I found the box style lights seem to be top heavy and bulky and the mounts are poor .... Take a tour of eBay and search for "LED video light 5010A" They have really tough cold shoe mounts and 6 x 3W LED's and run all night on Sony batteries. You can also split the battery and light too!! I have shoulder mount cameras so I have the battery at the back and the light up front which distributes the weight a lot better.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Matt I bought two of the £29.99 135 led lights from 7dayshop in the UK. 7dayshop LED Modelling Light for DSLR, Video and Camcorder Uses - 135 x LED Model - 7DAYSHOP.COM

They use 2x cheap mobile phone batteries which can be charged via the onboard usb socket. they also have space for AA batteries as well, so I keep a set of 6 in the light incase I run down the rechargeables, just switch from one to the other. The output brightness is variable which means that you can light an area from quite a distance if necessary.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management