How best to use Lowel Rifa 88 eXtra/Flo 80 Kit in an office interview? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Major Player

How best to use Lowel Rifa 88 eXtra/Flo 80 Kit in an office interview?

Hi Guys

We have a Lowel Rifa 88 eXtra/Flo 80 Kit ordered for interviews. Could anyone offer any suggestions about how best to employ this kit when interviewing one person in an office?

Warm regards
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How best to use Lowel Rifa 88 eXtra/Flo 80 Kit in an office interview?

I'm not sure how much experience you have with interview lighting, and simply buying a decent kit without knowing how best to use it isn't very useful. My recommendation is to order Doug Jensen's DVD on interview lighting: How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews

There are some short online tutorials on lighting as well. Even photography lighting that uses strobes strives for the same beauty of light that can be a good source of instruction.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Major Player

A 88 is a very large box so you are going to need some room for it. What are you using for a camera?? Good thing about the 88 is you can use the lower wattage bulbs to tame it down. If you don't have a egg crate for it get some flags and stands to control where the light goes.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Using a Sony HXR NX3.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Trustee

Peter,

Broad question. A few tips. If you are not familiar with Riffa lights rule number one is do not force anything. They snap open but are counter intuitive as to push and pull.

Big source, great light. As for ANY light you use for interviews, read the nose shadow like a book. Ninety percent of the information you need is there. The eyes also say it all, if you mess up the eyes it is all trash.

I run egg crates on my Riffa lights about 90% of the time. That is not to change the light on the subject. All egg crates do to the subject is reduce your output by a full stop. Egg crates are used to control your light by keeping it away from where you don't want it. They are a directional control device, I love them.

Steve
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Happy days I thought it was a bigger set of different types of lights, but I've used a single Lowel Rifa 88 before. Will definitely check out your egg crates suggestions Jerry and Steven, thanks.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management