DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 15th, 2023, 10:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Light recommendations for my wall

Hi all. I am building a 22' wide by 10.5' high wall and plan to paint it white. I have power outlets above it and about 2' to hang lights. I want to use it like a white infinity wall but also be able to change the colors of the white for various backdgrounds so I am looking for RGB light recommendations..

I am also debating whether to curve radius the bottom where it meets the floor but think it is a waste of time since I can't continue it out on the floor very far due to the space also being used to park a vehicle.
So basically it would be able to do head to ankle shots - no floor.

I will likely hang a rectrable Green screen (7'W X 10'H) that can drop down over part of the white so I can have an easy small green screen backdrop.

And if I need a large green screen I could temporarilly hang large foam backed fabric on top of the white and continue down across the floor (but I would need a curve bottom then)

It seems to me that RGB lights could light the white, the green and also provide colors to color the white so I just use a few RGB fixtures instead of using multiple types of fixtures??

I also may hang rectrable rolls of paper backdrops that I can drop down for a variety.

Are these powerful enough to light the wall?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353086-REG/luxli_timpani_1x1_1x1_rgb_studio_light.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1625882-REG/luxli_orc_timpani_m2_1x1_rgbaw_led_light.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

I want to permanently leave the main wall lights on the ceiling and then add floor lights as needed on talent and control them without having to climb on ladders everytime

Any ideas?
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2023, 12:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Light recommendations for my wall

I had this idea in my studio because I have over 40 moving head RGBW sources for my theatre activity that come back to the store when not out on hire. They can wash a stage with any colour, especially green with amazing brightness. In the studio they failed pretty miserably because close in, the centre beam was very hot and the drop off at the edges considerable, plus even the wide 50 degree angle was just not good enough. I tried diffuser of all kinds gaffer taped to the front, but it was patchy in the extreme. I found that if the person could be 3m in front of the wall, and kept empty, by crossing the washes, I could get it even, but the camera then struggled in my space to do head to foot and left right, forward backwards was a problem. The spiked response of RGBW lights seems to help the keying, not hinder. These stage type lights have a huge problem though. They all have fans, and 8 of them were unusable. There are silent ones, that are affordable, but to even the beams close in needs more than you think. Looking at the monitor, not using your eyes reveals hot spots, big ones when they’re too close in.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management