Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 20th, 2023, 07:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Flickering

Hi,

I have Canon C70. I need to shoot some objects in a diorama cabinets that have some LED lights installed (cheap LED strips). The lights flicker on camera. I tried different refresh rate but that didn't help. Anyone has any idea how to mitigate the flickering?

Thanks,
Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2023, 05:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Flickering

I'm not familiar with that camera, but perhaps I can provide some helpful generic information.

*IF* the LEDs have a very inexpensive power supply, their instantaneous brightness may be related to the AC power grid frequency, which of course in US is theoretically 60 Hz. That might cause the LEDs to pulse at 120 pulses/second. So if you can shoot at exactly 60 FPS (or 30 FPS) that would eliminate the flicker, or reduce it to very slow pulsing.

However, the power grid is not an exact stable 60Hz. It may slightly speed up or slow down depending on the load on the grid at any given moment. For example, in summer, when there's a huge daytime load from air conditioners, the grid tends to slow down slightly to less than 60Hz during the day, then speeds up to slightly more than 60Hz overnight when the load is lower. (If it didn't speed up, then old-style non-digital electric clocks, with a motor dependent on power grid frequency, would get further and further behind the actual time.) It's this inaccurate frequency of the power grid that would still result in slow pulsing, rather than perfect steady exposure.

If you try shooting at 30 and/or 60 FPS and that doesn't solve the problem, then there's another possibility. Many LED dimmers work by pulsing the diodes at an adjustable rate, which is dependent on the brightness setting. In this case, in order to eliminate the pulsing, you'd need to get the diorama owner to adjust the dimmer setting until you see a steady image in your video. And since the frequency of the dimmer is not precisely regulated, it might slightly increase or decrease while you're shooting. (Current-controlled DC power supplies will not have this issue.)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2023, 05:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The other option is to take photos instead of video. If they're high enough resolution you can zoom and pan in editing. Those type of lights are notorious for flicker. There is software that is also designed to remove it but only works in certain situation.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2023, 09:13 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Hi,

I have Canon C70. I need to shoot some objects in a diorama cabinets that have some LED lights installed (cheap LED strips). The lights flicker on camera. I tried different refresh rate but that didn't help. Anyone has any idea how to mitigate the flickering?

Thanks,
Kathy
Sorry asking, but did you try cycling through the EOS C70's enhanced Clear Scan (ECS) shutter settings?. The C70's Clear Scan covers, 24.00 Hz to 250.40 Hz in incremental steps. Within that range, you should be able to dial out the LED flicker without too much difficulty. The C70's Clear Scan was upgraded again in the C70's firmware v1.0.7.1. Page #57 of your manual. See attached pix.

I find a Clear Scan shutter essential for this type of work or when having to shoot PC screens or LED walls where you can have hum bars present. Or image tearing when you move the camera.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Flickering-canon-c70-shutter.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2023, 04:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
I'm not familiar with that camera, but perhaps I can provide some helpful generic information.

*IF* the LEDs have a very inexpensive power supply, their instantaneous brightness may be related to the AC power grid frequency, which of course in US is theoretically 60 Hz. That might cause the LEDs to pulse at 120 pulses/second. So if you can shoot at exactly 60 FPS (or 30 FPS) that would eliminate the flicker, or reduce it to very slow pulsing.

However, the power grid is not an exact stable 60Hz. It may slightly speed up or slow down depending on the load on the grid at any given moment. For example, in summer, when there's a huge daytime load from air conditioners, the grid tends to slow down slightly to less than 60Hz during the day, then speeds up to slightly more than 60Hz overnight when the load is lower. (If it didn't speed up, then old-style non-digital electric clocks, with a motor dependent on power grid frequency, would get further and further behind the actual time.) It's this inaccurate frequency of the power grid that would still result in slow pulsing, rather than perfect steady exposure.

If you try shooting at 30 and/or 60 FPS and that doesn't solve the problem, then there's another possibility. Many LED dimmers work by pulsing the diodes at an adjustable rate, which is dependent on the brightness setting. In this case, in order to eliminate the pulsing, you'd need to get the diorama owner to adjust the dimmer setting until you see a steady image in your video. And since the frequency of the dimmer is not precisely regulated, it might slightly increase or decrease while you're shooting. (Current-controlled DC power supplies will not have this issue.)
Thanks Greg. I tried shooting at 30 an 60fps. It didn't help. I also tried different Hz settings but that didn't help either. The only thing that worked was changing the shutter speed but I had to go so low 1/12 so then I couldn't do any camera movements.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 06:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
The other option is to take photos instead of video. If they're high enough resolution you can zoom and pan in editing. Those type of lights are notorious for flicker. There is software that is also designed to remove it but only works in certain situation.
That would be my last resort
Old November 22nd, 2023, 06:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Sorry asking, but did you try cycling through the EOS C70's enhanced Clear Scan (ECS) shutter settings?. The C70's Clear Scan covers, 24.00 Hz to 250.40 Hz in incremental steps. Within that range, you should be able to dial out the LED flicker without too much difficulty. The C70's Clear Scan was upgraded again in the C70's firmware v1.0.7.1. Page #57 of your manual. See attached pix.

I find a Clear Scan shutter essential for this type of work or when having to shoot PC screens or LED walls where you can have hum bars present. Or image tearing when you move the camera.

Chris Young
Thanks Chris. I tried Clear Scan. It didn’t eliminate the problem. I had to resort to the last option on that menu list “slow”. That worked but it basically dropped the shutter to 1/12 so I couldn’t do any panning but I just didn’t move the camera, fortunately there were slowly moving objects in the diorama boxes so there is movement in those shots and they don’t look like photos.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 07:37 AM   #8
Trustee

Wow! That's an odd one. That's so low a speed. Some strange LEDS by the sounds of it. All the same, glad you got a result you could work with :)

Chris Young.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2023, 08:40 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Thanks Chris. I tried Clear Scan. It didn’t eliminate the problem. I had to resort to the last option on that menu list “slow”. That worked but it basically dropped the shutter to 1/12 so I couldn’t do any panning but I just didn’t move the camera, fortunately there were slowly moving objects in the diorama boxes so there is movement in those shots and they don’t look like photos.
It occurs to me that there may be multiple sets of strip lights, on different dimmers, pulsing at different frequencies. In that case there may be no "magic" frame rate that will give perfectly smooth exposure.

Kathy, my memory is fuzzy about this: does that camera have adjustable shutter angle (or am I thinking of something else)? If it does, the widest possible angle, combined with a slow frame rate, would produce a result closest to a long time exposure.

Last edited by Greg Miller; November 22nd, 2023 at 12:29 PM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management