This is how the Chinese do it - proven! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 23rd, 2024, 03:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

This is how the Chinese do it - proven!

I buy lots of stuff from China - especially those products that are similar to the expensive big brand products. I know the pros and cons and I can live with the moral and ethical issues, when I can get ten of something similar to the price of one.

I'd always wondered how they did it though - clearly copies, but how did they get the original?
One of my suppliers of lighting has solved this. I used to buy the 650W and 1K Arris Fresnels - the critical parts - the lens and reflector were very similar. The lamholders and focus mechanisms less good. They were similar but the metal was softer and if they jammed - which they did, I learned to NOT force the knob, because the spiral guide would just bend. However, the price enabled me to buy quite a lot and they're all still in use in one venue - where they sit on wide angle and flood a stage - they're fine.

It seems they simply buy a real unit, dismantle it - and then reverse engineer it - This I guessed, but then they simply pop them on ebay to recover the expenditure.
Attached Thumbnails
This is how the Chinese do it - proven!-screenshot-2024-02-23-09.08.56.png  
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2024, 07:44 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: This is how the Chinese do it - proven!

I feel just the opposite and will not knowingly buy obvious counterfeit products or knockoffs. My respect for the innovators who actually envision, design, and build new products exceeds my desire to save a few dollars at someone else's expense. People who willingly buy this knockoff junk are the real problem.
Old February 23rd, 2024, 09:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: This is how the Chinese do it - proven!

Thanks Doug.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

« Flickering | New Posts | - »