DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dedolight

I've been reading some of Dedo's literature on their lights. How much more "efficient" is their 150W light compared to an Arri Fresnel? In other words, is the 150W Dedo similar in output to a 150W Arri?

Thanks
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Great little lights...

Hi Tim - We use the 100w dedolights (the older units) and they are very efficient considering the size - what is it you are trying to achieve? Dedolights are superb if you require something small, light, built like a tank, draw little power, don't push out so much heat, nice dimmer control, bulbs that don't break easily, last ages and are cheap. Now the downside - they cost a fortune, even on ebay. We use Arri 650s, 1000s and 2000s but desided against the smaller units in favour of the dedolights - we travel a lot.

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm looking to start a nice lighting kit - small dramatic pieces as well as location interviews. I'll probably end up with a couple of fresnels (arri or ltm) in the 300-650 watt range but was interested in the Dedo's for all the reasons you mentioned. I was just curious if it really could compete with a 400ish watt fresnel like the Dedo site says they can.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I like Dedo lights quite a bit but I wouldn't consider them replacements for your 300-650W fresnels. Besides the qualities mentioned previously, the Dedos put out a more defined and controlled beam that normal fresnels. Which makes them good for "touching up" your lighting here and there.

Don't get me wrong, the beam still spreads just not as much. As for whether or not it's the equivalent of a 300W fresnel, sort of. Basically, their lens design allows the Dedo's beam to keep its intensity farther. So, presuming you barndoor/flag a 300W fresnel down to the same small area that you're illuminating with the Dedo - I suppose it's the same. But bear in mind, the Dedo's don't cover that large an area.

I shot a single source interrogation room scene with Dedos last year. The primary source was a 300W fresnel pointed down and then I "touched up" the actors with 3 150W 24V Dedos.
Chien Huey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management