DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 13th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Documentary lighting advice...

Hi fellow video lovers,

I was currently researching suitable lighting equipment i could purchase for my production kit, i dont know much and being based in London, i was surfing around ebay for some bargains and came across this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-250W-DIGIL...QQcmdZViewItem

Just thought i'd get some feedback. I know this light is for photography but will it also be suitable for video? Also what sort of lighting would one suggest for lighting interviews?

Best regards
Ismail
London - UK
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Ismail,

I wouldn't go with those lights, as they are a screw in type base, and aparently have a cooling fan, which is bound to generate noise.

Depending on your budget, you can pick lights up piecemeal, or whole kits ready to go. Arri makes an excellent kit, as does Lowel.

I do a lot of interviews in doc style work. Sometimes I've had to make do with window light and a bounce card, which actually worked quite nice. But having control is really the key.

A lot of people will recommend a 'three point' light kit. Basically a key light, a fill light and a back/or rim light. You can get by with two if you position the second as a kicker, and use a bounce for fill.

Soft light is best for interviews. You can invest in a nice Chimera softbox, which will last for quite a while, or buy one of the knock-off brands. Be sure to get a speed ring to fit your particular light. Some brands of umbrellas that are all white, make for a nice quick softlight source as well. If I don't have time to set up my softbox, I'll pop a white umbrella on one of my omni's, and blast right through it for a nice soft key. Additionally, I'll use a 1k DP for a soft key through a box or umbrella, and the omni for a fill. I like to use a little 250w pepper fresnel as a kicker or hair light.

Speaking of lights, fresnel lights will give you more controll than open faced, but tend to cost a bit more too.

DO a search, and you'll find a lot of recommendations for lighting solutions.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #3
Old Boot

I started off with my lighting kit with a WICKES Builder's lamp, got from a West London branch . 100watts? Maybe 200watts .. can't remember. Came WITH a stand, a long length of cable, all for 23 quid!! Go check 'em out! You maybe more advanced than I, but for the money - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #4
Old Boot

This is a most EXCELLENT link for variations of "budget" lighting rigs:

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/showthread.php?t=19944

For interviews I now use only 2 lights:

1/- 1x300 watt Rifa Soft fill - gorgeous . . . .

2/- Dedolight WITH dimmer and big bullnose focus lens - love it!

3/- Reflectors! I've found these make a massive difference making the various layers and "punching" to bring the talent away from the background and enough "style" for the shot.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management