DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Trustee

How hot are Britek softboxes?

I am considering buying their "1600W complete three light kit", but I am apprehensive about using tungsten lights after my last encounter. A pair of 500W work lights heated the room in no time, making everyone very uncomfortable. Furthermore, when you consider their LPW inefficiency, I have to wonder why people don't simply use fluorescents. Surely one with a CRI of over 90 would do, and be less hassle?

Last edited by Emre Safak; March 14th, 2006 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have heard that with fluorescents you can sometimes get flicker, but maybe that is just with cheap fluorescents?
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I have used the Britek 1000w with and without softboxes.I find they run cooler than the Ianiro redheads. But all tungstens are going to generate some heat.Mid summer on set the talent will definitely feel the heat.Of course the advantage of tungstens is cost and controlability is easier.But they don't mix with daylight sources as easy.You have to weight the plus and minus for your application.
ps if you order the Briteks ,I suggest upgrade to the heavy duty stands
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Do the Britek kits accept the compact fluorescents? If so, compact fluorescents usually have a high-frequency ballast that does not show flicker. It is also much easier to match daylight with a 5000k fluorescent than to gel the heck out of a tungsten. I just wish for the ability to screw in a big compact fluorescent (medium/edison base) and be able to control it a bit. A softbox with louvres/chimera would be fine and would be sufficient control for most of my needs.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Major Player

The Briteks do not use srcew in base bulbs,they use pushin bulbs such as R7s base.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management