Reflection or diffusion? Which would you do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 17th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Reflection or diffusion? Which would you do?

I have shot several interviews in bright outside locations using a reflector to fill the shadows. I found this tricky because lighting up the subject makes the subject squint unless the reflector an sun are on the sides.

I have a shoot coming up on a military base and will be interviewing officers outside. I'm expecting them to be wearing officer's caps with bills (nicely shadowing the all important eyes).

The whole point of shooting on the base is for the background so I don't want to expose the subject and blow out the background.

How would you do this shoot?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

If you're using sunlite, then I'd have the subject face the sun, and stand in the shade of a diffuser. That way the sun will act as the key light for the both subject and the background. Add reflected or artificial light as needed to balance the subject's exposure. You could also try reflecting more light into the diffuser, it creates a very flattering light for your subjects. Experiment with a back light/reflector to separate the subject & background.

Try a frame / panel kit or a big shoot-thru umbrella high up on a light stand. A nice leafy tree can work as well.

Another option is to have the subject stand under an awning protected from the sun and bring artifical lights and reflectors to balance the exposure of the subject with a sunny background.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #3
Trustee

Follow those links to the soloflex site and look at their tutorials. They answer your question with pictures and show the kit used.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Good points. Thanks. The Photoflex lite panels look do-able.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management