DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Question on PAG C6

I have searched and researched but have been unable to determine how the PAG C6 cable attaches to the C6 battery. Is it just a cheap DC barrel connector that you push in and it holds with a little friction or is there something more substantial that locks it in place?

TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest House
I have searched and researched but have been unable to determine how the PAG C6 cable attaches to the C6 battery. Is it just a cheap DC barrel connector that you push in and it holds with a little friction or is there something more substantial that locks it in place?

TIA
You are correct.
There is a plug connection that runs from the camera light and snaps into the top of the PAG C6 battery.
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

With the battery hanging on its shoulder strap, does the cable ever pull out on you when you run an gun or change a tripod setup?
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
I have searched and researched but have been unable to determine how the PAG C6 cable attaches to the C6 battery.
Ernest, I have this exact same set up. The lamp-end has a permanent "connected" cable. At the other end of this cable is what is called a LEMO-type PUSH-PULL low voltage SNAP-ON plug. Please see http://www.lemo.com/ for example.

Quote:
Is it just a cheap DC barrel connector that you push in and it holds with a little friction or is there something more substantial that locks it in place?TIA
When you push it into the top of the 6volt 7amh battery pack it positively SNAPS-ON. You cannot just pull the cable safely away from the battery pack without damaging the cable connector or connection. That is NOT how it works. It is a positive SNAP-ON. Meaning it is definitely NOT a friction type plug. The method of unplugging means you need to remove the connection by gripping the outer "body" of the plug and pulling away from the battery. You can't just pull the cable.

From my use of the PAG C6 IMHO PAG make high quality items and again in my opinion their use of this low voltage plug is typical of their approach to making quality products work and work securely.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
With the battery hanging on its shoulder strap, does the cable ever pull out on you when you run an gun or change a tripod setup?
Not in my experience of using the kit for 3 years? As I say it is a positive PUSH-ON. One tip for you is that I use the shoulder strap diagonally across my body which helps to keep the battery from slipping off my shoulder, thus keeping the battery pack close to my body and consequently reducing the "risk" of applying unnecessary tension ON the cabling - yeah?. One other configuration is that I use the PAG battery velcroed to the rear of my DVRigPro - acts as a neat counterbalance too!

What do you mean changing a tripod setup? If you are changing a tripod setup then by definition you AREN'T videoing - well I don't! In which case you aren't usefully using up the power of the PAG C6? So what do you mean?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I would have been surprised that PAG implemented a cheap poor connector. But after experiencing the Firestore FS-1, I take close look at this issue.

My question on moving tripod setups was in the context of not wanting to move a setup, get everyone set and then discover the light got unplugged during the move.

I want to wear the battery on my back. How long is the cable?
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Trustee

Ernest also keep in mind that you can purchase a belt clip that attaches tot he battery via 2 small screws. Whem I use my DVRig Pro, I attach it to the back of teh rig.
But when I use my NEW DVMulti Rig, I attach the battery to my belt, because when I do it keeps the battery out of my way better than having it slung over my shoulder.
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. . . .. But after experiencing the Firestore FS-1, I take close look at this issue.
You are very welcome. I do appreciate your concerns. I don't have a firestore so I can't comment.

Quote:
I want to wear the battery on my back. How long is the cable?
My actual cable - not including the plug - is NOT less than 110cms. As the cable is fixed at the LAMP end and terminates in this PUSH-PULL plug if you wanted a longer cable then you would need to contact PAG. Here is a link to their PAG-light systems.

http://www.paglight.com/index.htm

I cannot see a way to extend the C6 system? Can you?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management